Mesothelioma Community
31 Members

Asbestos Exposure

Okay, so I am aware of the hazards of asbestos and what it can do to your body/respiratory system. Best/worst information to know when you're a hypochondriac. Anyways, I have a major concern about possible asbestos exposure (s) in the past that I may not have been aware of. I know I've lived in some old homes that have been renovated by my parents that probably weren't aware of the risks. My concern is, that I have been exposed to large doses of asbestos and lived in homes with partially renovated rooms with free flowing asbestos fibers. Another concern I have is that I do have an old baby blanket that I have had a life long habit of running my fingers through it and when I sleep, holding it over my nose. Am I at risk if for some reason the fibers have gotten into the blanket and I have been inhaling Abestos fibers for a long period of time and now I have sealed my fate. I'm concerned when I was younger, maybe coming into contact with Asbestos and not washing my hands, touching the blanket or pillows and contaminating everything I own. Am I thinking too much or is this a legitimate fear/risk? My wife thinks I am crazy, but in my mind, it is completely rational. I do understand that there are no medical professionals, but only opinions. All will be much appreciate. Thank you for your time.
Many homes built before 1980 contain asbestos in old floor tiles, ceiling tiles, roof shingles, siding, insulation (around boilers, ducts, pipes, sheeting, fireplaces), pipe cement, and joint compound used on seams between pieces of sheetrock. Some newer houses may also contain asbestos. Your baby blanket is likely ok.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?