Occupational Safety & Health Forum

pregnancy-solvents

i work in a analytical chemistry lab.. we analyse finished drugs(tablets ,injections) for which we will have to inhale smell of solvents like Methanol,Acetonitrile,Tetrahydrofuran,n-Hexane ,Cyclohexane etc.., Now that am pregnant iam worried about my baby! do give me a reply sothat i will plan quitting my job soon.

Your concern is a common one that Occupational Health and Safety professionals encounter in research and development environments. Many large employers have programs, policies, and procedures to evaluate health concerns that employees raise.

Do you have on-site health and safety professionals in your company? (e.g. HSE, EHS)

What about Employee Health or Occupational Health?

Do you have specific questions regarding each chemical?

A good start for you is to review the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) which should be available in your workspace.

There are many variables to consider with regard to questions like: "what should I do now that I am pregnant?"

For example:
1. Type of chemical being used
2. Concentration
3. Work practices
4. Engineering controls (e.g. use in a ventilated hood)
5. Personal protective equipment.

Please respond with additional questions or comments that you have.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.