Pancreatic Cancer Community
97 Members

Worried about Pancreatic Cancer

I have been having right side abdominal pain under my ribs and wrapping around to my back for several years.  It gets worse at times and then gets better, but the discomfort is always there.  5 years ago I had a CT scan which found nothing... then again, three and a half years ago I had an amylase test come back with concerning results and went in for an ultrasound that found nothing.  I then worked with a gastro doc who sent me for an MRCP, which showed a healthy pancreas.  We figured the high amylase number was due to dehydration and decided to redo the blood test a few months later.  We did and it was fine... fast forward to September of this year.  The pain is more intense and an ultrasound (done last month) shows an enlarged head of my pancreas.  I have had no other tests done at this time.  I went to the gastro (a new doc that I did not care for) who said there was no sign of a tumor and that I should not worry.  Well, worry is what I do and I am in a bit of a panic.  She said that she would do a CT if I wanted her to, but the idea of subjecting myself to that much radiation if it is nothing scares me especially since I had one just 5 years ago (I have read and confirmed with my GP that cancer rates are going up due to the high numbers of CT scans performed each year) ... I am so anxious about this I do not know what to do...

Would the MRCP have shown cancer of the pancreas?  Would pancreatic cancer grow in the last 3 years?  The gastro said that with all of the testing I have had, she really thinks I should not worry.  
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.