The following information would help you.
ICD-9-CM Diagnosis 527.0
Atrophy of salivary gland
• 527.0 is a specific code that can be used to specify a diagnosis
• 527.0 contains 4 index entries
ICD-9-CM Diagnosis 527.1
Hypertrophy of salivary gland
• 527.1 is a specific code that can be used to specify a diagnosis
• 527.1 contains 10 index entries
ICD-9-CM Diagnosis 527.2
• Inflammation of the parotid gland.
• 527.2 is a specific code that can be used to specify a diagnosis
• 527.2 contains 34 index entries
ICD-9-CM Diagnosis 527.3
Abscess of salivary gland
• 527.3 is a specific code that can be used to specify a diagnosis
• 527.3 contains 9 index entries
I disagree with the diagnosis listed above.
I would use for the diagnosis code for parotid mass- code 527.8.
The other diagnosis codes are too specific when there is no specific code for parotid gland mass.
All you can do is code it to the other code -- its better to label a patient with a generic code than give them a diagnosis for something that could cause problems further down the line.
The correct code for parotid mass is 784.2. You would locate this diagnosis under mass; neck 784.2 - swelling, mass or lump in head and neck.
This post is for those who are searching for answers after July 6, 2011.