Could I have got Syphilis from a handjob at a massage parlor?

I went to a massage parlor and got a massage. I was naked, The lady was clothed the whole time. She rubbed my butt cheeks and in between and gave me a handjob.  3 weeks later I have a red mark between my groin -below my testicles. It burns. When I shower it burns, stings bad. I am worried about Syphilis. I did go to the doctor for a sinus infection recently and he gave me a shot of Rocephin and 10 days of doxycycline. I am still worried.
COMMUNITY LEADER
There is no risk for an STD from a massage and handjob. Hands never transmit any STDs, including syphilis. Syphilis is transmitted by direct contact with a sore during oral, vaginal or anal sex. https://www.cdc.gov/std/syphilis/stdfact-syphilis.htm Direct contact means your mouth, genitals or anus has to come into contact with their mouth, genitals or anus.

Have you had any other sexual encounters?

Did you talk to your doctor about the mark you have? You really should let a doctor see that. If it's something bacterial, the antibiotics may clear it up, but if it's fungal, the antibiotics just might make it worse. You can get a syphilis test even while on antibiotics. That might help ease your mind.
Oh I should add that the test might not be conclusive for 6 weeks, but if you have a sore, you should get tested anyway.

You are reading content posted in the STDs / STIs Community

Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.