Sexuality & Relationships Forum

Girl in guys skin

I want to transition to a woman... atleast the top half (no penis removal), and i don't know what hormones i can take and am to nervous to talk to a doctor, and would know what kind of specialist to ask anyway. ANY HELP?
Hi.

I’m so glad you wrote to me. I can understand you're nervous, but you will need to see a therapist who specializes in transgender issues in order to receive a diagnosis and begin hormone therapy, if appropriate. There are also lots of supportive groups out there which can provide you with information and support as you transition from your biological sex to the female gender you feel yourself to be.

Here's some information for you: First off, we now know that our gender identity is essentially set at around age 2, right about the time we begin talking. Thus, most transgendered people have known their genders for quite a long time. And gender has nothing to do with sexuality, although many people erroneously link the two. Our gender identity isn’t dependent on the sex of our desired partner, but is rather our profound sense of who we are—either masculine or feminine.

As far as what’s next for you, there are several websites offering help. Most of these sites have a section on the steps of gender reassignment.

www.gendertalk.com/info/resource/index.shtml
www.hbigda.org
www.apa.org/topics/transgender.html

The most important thing is for you to reach out and connect with others so you can build friendships and relationships during your transition period. Be proud of who you are, and don’t let anyone tell you you’re not OK! Best of luck to you. Dr. J
Dim the lights and break out the…eggs? These 10 foods will kick your sex drive into high gear.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
The surprising benefits of getting busy
Pain, cramps and spotting — when should you call the doctor?
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.