I woke up 4 times last night with a one second paralyzing feeling in my head

Of course my mind is pretty mixed up during sleep, but it seemed to feel somewhat the same. It was as if a 220 volt surged against my head while holding it in its grip,  and sort of hurt and made me dizzy (while lying in bed) although it was too scary and quick to really figure it out.  As far as I can tell I shook it off all within what seemed to be about a second. This happened a few times last month too. I will ask my doctor as soon as I can see him, but is it something to forget about and/or can it become chronic?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Your doc can help, but it could be hyperarousal from excessive stress/anxiety.  That suggests stress management, but discuss with your doc.
Helpful - 0
Yes I did call him and found out it can't be a stroke or aneurism. Afterwards I figured out what happened by noticing that when I lie sideways with my head on a pillow I am unable to move my head up more than 10 degrees and it causes discomfort to do that.
So I had 4 nightmares that night, in the darkness likely with my eyes closed,  each nightmare telling me that I was unable to move, but the reality was when I awoke and tried to move while lying sideways it just drove my body into the mattress masking the 10 degree upward movement  of the head since my head was likely on the pillow at all times, plus the neck sharp movement gave me a neck ache which made me think it was a head pain.
The part that scared me was a brief feeling of vertigo and nausea, however those were more likely just a confusion and fear feeling.
I took a nap this afternoon and it seemed to occur twice. I wasn't afraid since my doc said it can't be a neurological issue and seems more like a muscle event. He also said it is weird (and comforting) that it only happens during sleep, which makes me wonder if I am just dreaming the whole thing up.

You are reading content posted in the Sleep Disorders Community

Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.