A
A
A
Close
Weight Loss & Dieting Community
7.64k Members
649848 tn?1534637300

'Write When You Bite': Self-Monitoring Works for Weight Loss

I found this article about recording what you eat and weight loss.  Previous studies have shown that people tend to lose more weight when they self-monitor food intake.  This study bears that out.  

"Participants in a weight-loss study who recorded their food intake on a website at least twice a day were more likely to lose a clinically meaningful amount of weight by 6 months compared with those who didn't log consumption as often, in a new study.

The self-monitoring also included documenting beverage intake, food portion size, and preparation method, and only took about 15 minutes a day.

At 6 months, participants who lost ≥ 5% or ≥ 10% of their initial weight were recording their food intake 2.4 times/day or 2.7 times/day, respectively, whereas those who lost less than these amounts were recording their intake only 1.6 times/day or 1.7 times/day, respectively, which was significantly different."

You can access the article via the following link:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/909609?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=279348AG&impID=1897025&faf=1

I know I've found in the past that logging food intake does help be mindful of what I'm eating and how much.  The problem I had was that it seemed like it took too much time.  I think there are some better apps that work on phones now.  

Check out the food diary here and see what you think...
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534637300
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.