Weight Loss & Dieting Community

'Write When You Bite': Self-Monitoring Works for Weight Loss

I found this article about recording what you eat and weight loss.  Previous studies have shown that people tend to lose more weight when they self-monitor food intake.  This study bears that out.  

"Participants in a weight-loss study who recorded their food intake on a website at least twice a day were more likely to lose a clinically meaningful amount of weight by 6 months compared with those who didn't log consumption as often, in a new study.

The self-monitoring also included documenting beverage intake, food portion size, and preparation method, and only took about 15 minutes a day.

At 6 months, participants who lost ≥ 5% or ≥ 10% of their initial weight were recording their food intake 2.4 times/day or 2.7 times/day, respectively, whereas those who lost less than these amounts were recording their intake only 1.6 times/day or 1.7 times/day, respectively, which was significantly different."

You can access the article via the following link:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/909609?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=279348AG&impID=1897025&faf=1

I know I've found in the past that logging food intake does help be mindful of what I'm eating and how much.  The problem I had was that it seemed like it took too much time.  I think there are some better apps that work on phones now.  

Check out the food diary here and see what you think...