Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Only two meals?

I heard one can gain weight from eating only 1-2 meals a day. If I only eat two meals a day (one moderate, one bigger) will I gain weight? I’m unsure bc I heard only eating two meals is good too.
1 Responses
We're all different.  My Dad always ate only two meals, but he did snack.  He was overweight in the abdomen area, but not anywhere else and not all that much, so it didn't affect him any.  I eat two meals a day as well nowadays due to other problems, and I haven't had any weight gain.  Your weight is a function more of what you eat and how much you eat and what your body is used to and how much energy you burn through movement than anything else.  There are a million eating theories out there -- eat six small meals a day, don't eat one day a week, eat a big breakfast, skip breakfast so your stomach is empty longer than just sleeping, but none of them have good evidence behind them, they're all fads.  If you're comfortable this way, it's enough food to fuel what you do, then time will tell you if this works for you.  The reason we eat 3 times a day and a snack is because historically people had to do a lot of stuff physically every day just to survive.  They didn't have cars or TV or computers or machinery and so everything they did took energy unless they were very rich and had servants do it for them, in which case they were usually corpulent.  It may be that now that we really don't do all that much anymore we don't need more than two meals a day.  Who knows?
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Weight Loss Alternatives Community

Top Healthy Living Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.