Why is my vagina itchy?

Last month I had gotten my period and two days or so after I got really really itchy down there. I thought it was a yeast infection so I tried monistat 3, and it worked. I didn't go to the gyno, because I didn't think I had too. I had no smell or discharge just itching. Recently I got my period, and a couple days after I got itchy again!! I have been trying to use extra virgin coconut oil, but I haven't seen any improvement. I am still itchy. I just want to know why this is happening and how to make it stop. Please someone help me!
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there and welcome.  Well, the best thing would be for you to see a doctor at the time of the itching.  They could then swab it and rule out anything like yeast or fungal issues.  This is not that uncommon.  Yeast traditionally has a thick, lumpy white discharge that itches intensely.  But you can have a yeast issue or fungal issue with itchiness with little discharge as well (where you almost feel dry).  That itch is enough to drive you nuts.  Changing the ph of your vagina can cause this and a period/menstruation can do that.  And if you have any type of allergic reaction to your sanitary products you use, then that is another reason.  I'd personally try to see your doctor about this.  good luck
My mom said she's going to set up an appt to see the gyno. I just want to get rid of it. It's so annoying and very uncomfortable. I think it might be Bc of tampons but I'm not sure. Thanks for your response!
COMMUNITY LEADER
Well good luck hon. Yeah, an itch like that can drive you nuts!!  Hope it gets resolved soon and glad you are going to the doctor.  
The only thing is, is that I'm vegan. And I don't want to be using stuff that is animal tested... So I wanted to do it naturally that's why I've been using coconut oil. Do you know any other good natural cures? And thank you!

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community

Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.