How do get off Suboxone?

Hi, I have been on 16mg of Suboxone for over 5 years after abusing Oxycontin for less than 2 years.  My mood is content, but I am a shell of a person.  I do not work and I never leave my home.  I get up in the afternoon and go on my laptop until I go to bed around 4am, and then I repeat the same thing the next day.  I am extremely constipated and have no energy.  I know I need to get off Suboxone, but I don't feel strong enough to and the more time that goes by, the weaker I get.  There was only 1 time that I was ready to ween myself off Suboxone.  It was after being on it for 6 months and a psychiatrist had put me on an anti-depressant.  I mentioned to my doctor, that was prescribing the Subs, that I was ready to ween down and he said I shouldn't think about that now.  So here I am, 5 years later.  I get frustrated to why Suboxone affects me so much because I know plenty of other people who take it who can work and function properly.  I used to be a very hard-working, family oriented person and now I don't work, hardly every see my family, and lost touch with most of my friends.  But still, none of this motivates me enough to even go one day without Suboxone.  I've called a few rehab centers, but they only offer like a 5 day detoxification, which makes no sense for the long term nature of Suboxone.  Does anybody have any suggestions or is anyone in a similar situation?

I'd like to make a note, though.  I am not condemning Suboxone.  It stopped my life from spiraling out of control and I know I wouldn't be in this situation if I got some kind of co-therapy when I initially started taking Suboxone.  I am blaming myself and the doctor who only cared about my urine samples every month I saw him.  (Sometimes, I would have to stay in his office bathroom all day until I could produce a sample because the Suboxone also causes extreme urinary retention for me, even though the doctor didn't think that was possible.)  I have a new doctor now who prescribes the Suboxone and thinks everything in my life is going great because I don't know what to tell him.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Wolverine...please take a step back and think about things before you trash the intentions of someone else.  I have been following Robert's posts...and he seems 100% legitimate.   I truly believe he is just trying to help...given his years of experience on the subjects at hand.

I also agree that Dr.'s are best second guessed.  Many of you are here because of the mismanagement of prescriptions that these docs have helped you fill perpetually.  I don't think it is wise to blindly trust Dr. just because they have a title and a plaque on the wall.  My ex-girlfriend kept her mother alive, 5x longer than she would have, if she just took Dr.'s advice.  Her mother had cancer and she got educated...and found, that docs made many mistakes, were quick to make decisions and sometimes did not have her moms best interests in mind.

Of course this is probably the minority...but I think you understand where we are coming from.  Cut this guy a little slack...he seems to be a caring individual looking to help, without any other motives.

Free
Helpful - 0
I have been on Sub for 5 years and am starting to taper. I believe I am ready and don't fear falling back into my addiction (hydrocodone, I was am a pain pill addict) I know I can do this! I am ready. Can anyone help me with a proper taper? My Dr is only interested only the money. !50 dollars to take 5 minutes to write an RX and another 75 dollars for the urine screen! Not to mention the cost of Sub...! Can't afford this every month and insurance will not cover.
I have just tapered to 4 mg a day. I will start that tomorrow. I need help with a reasonable taper tho..please ? anyone?
thanks...runnermom56
Helpful - 0
Runnermom...first, awesome choice to get your life back.

May I suggest that you start a new thread with your question.  Sometimes posting to an existing one makes it tough for folks to follow up properly.

Good fighting...keep posting!!
Helpful - 0
I agree with you ,sometimes one addict to another is a lot of help,and you are right again when you say we can all share our experiences to help each other break the chain of addiction.Thats what they do at NA meetings,share experiences and one addict to another.But they dont talk about adjusting someones medication,or telling them to stop taking it.,which Robert is doing.i am on Suboxone and I have tapered down an
off from 16 mgs without any problems.I would not tell that dude how to do what I did,not everybody handles drugs the same way.He says the Suboxone makes him lethargic and cant pee.I had neither of those effects.He also is constipated,I go like clockwork.There is so much anti Suboxone crap on here by people who were never on it.Calamity 2 up at the top,saidI have never used it but the withdrawal is no picnic.How can she say that if she never used it.So somebody lurking and thinking of going on Suboxone to get off oxys,will be scared off by somebody who never used it.Maybe she was told by somebody that it sucked,that doesnt make it the norm.I had no withdrawal at all,so you cant bunch everybody together,each suboxone user is different.Telling somebody this is how you taper because it worked for him is saying that we all handle the drug the same,Its not true.He has been on it for 5 years at a very high dose,he will react differently coming off it then somebody who has been on the same dose for 6 months.The 5 yr dude is going to feel a lot different and might go into withdrawal,and need to be tapered down slower then 6 month guy.Is Robert going to supervise his tapering and move in with him to be there in case he goes into withdrawal.You should not tell somebody you dont know  or even somebody you do not to take their medication,
or to tell thm how to use it different then prescribed.Robert is not a Dr,so should not  
be playing one on here.telling others what might have worked for him is the way to go for them.Im sure he means well and is only trying to help,but read the guidelines,you are not supposed to discuss or tell anybody how to take their medication.I didnt write it,but agree with it.
Helpful - 0
I am taking methadone and was taking perocets and vicodin
I had the same problems ,as far as a hard time going to the bathroom and having depression from being on this situation with no fast or easy way out. I was maintaining on methadone for a year and a half at 30-35 mil and was ok then over time it got worse I started to feel out of it and had a hard time using the bathroom.  I think it definatly HAS something to do with the drug!
I find my self needing some help as well
Helpful - 0
I was on Suboxone for 2 years.  I was going to a Sub Dr. who professed to know what he was doing.  Well long story short he took the classes in order to perscribe Sub and he was awful.  He had me going for so long taking my money monthly.  When I told him I was going CT he recommended that I might need to be on it for ever as maintenance.  This is not the first story of Sub Dr.s out there who have no idea what they are doing that I have heard about.  Perscribing Sub is a very lucrative service.  That being said, I am sure there are some great Dr's out there who perscribe Sub.  But with anything in life let the buyer beware.  Wolverine probably has more knowledge and experience with Sub than many of the Drs out there who perscribe it
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community