Anxiety Community
23k Members

My brains has these fast motion periods where everything around me is going in fast motion what is it?

I'm 14 years old and I have these periods where my brain starts to race and it feels like everything is going in fast motion. When I talk, somebody is talking, music is playing or when I walk it feels like everything is going in fast motion like everything is being extremely rushed.It happens at least once every 2 weeks but i've had it twice this week . This only happened to me about 2 times in the past year but also I get these patterns of noises in my head when I'm lying in bed and it keeps me from sleeping.I just wanted to know what it was because I honestly am scared and my mother laughs at me when i try to tell her that something is wrong and it frustrates me
yes i did have a dream that i couldn't even understand or explain its weird , i had it 3 times the exact same one .. and after i had that dream i started to have the brain racing thing

Magnesium, zink and calsium. These minerals calms your head. Exept from calsium its hard to get enough from food alone.
Read bbc the man who saw time stand still. It might give a clue. He had an aneurism in the time perception in his brain. Maybe other factors can affect it.
I remember the voices too when I was about to fall asleep when I was young. Sometimes there would be a louder voice on top of the others that suddenly woke me up. A couple of times calling my name. Annoying. Had sleep apne once too. Feels like you are capured in your own body, like somebody is holding you under water and you struggle to get free, your brain is awake but disconnected to your body and then when you finally wake up youre afraid to go back to sleep.
Could be an aneurism. Read the man who saw time stand still.
OMG Thank goodness I'm not the only one, definitely thought I was crazy when I was younger.
For me as far back as I could remember they started in 5th grade, 24 years old now and I haven't had them in quite a while. I never drank caffeine as a kid, extremely into sports (pretty fit as far as pre-teens go) and I would get them all the time. I'd feel like everything, including me sped up, like I would sit back and watch the world and my own movements go at a ridiculous speed.
I wonder though if it is hereditary, I never brought it up to my parents.
Sidebar, for everyone here

Did you guys also experience Deja Vu, not at the same time but in addition to these attacks?  i know from family history that Deja Vu runs in my family. just wondering if it is somehow related.
This is crazy I used to have these symptoms as well not anymore just when I was younger 8-10 even went to the hospital had several tests done but doctors had no idea what was wrong I was perfectly fine, all of a sudden it did stop and only happend about 4 or 5 times within a year. I'm 22 now and I'm just on here cause I remembered feeling like this and was wondering why I felt like that it's an indescribable feeling sometimes except that you feel like everything is in fast forward like on tv only last about ten min but it's scary. Why does this happen?
Hoping someone sees this. How did your docs diagnose this as a seizure.  Our daughter has epilepsy - her seizures have all been simple partials and she now has had 20 of these episodes since the start of the summer - I have gone over this with two neurologists and they are not convinced that these are seizures. We have done an ambulatory EEG, of course no episode, I have taped it and showed it to the docs - they can't call it a seizure based on the video.  Now petrified. What did your doc do to stop them?
Thank you so much. I am twelve and this keeps happening to me to. Thank you to the 14 year old because now i know im not alone. its also been getting more and more intense over the past year. and i also hear ring ing noises in my head while im lying down in bed and i feel like the world is shaking when i am lying down and i can kinda see it too if i consentrate.
Wow! There's a lot of us having this experience. Mine started when i was sleeping when i was about 5 or 6. It was in a form of a dream. I feel like everything is rushed and ive got a feeling of being afraid. I would later have the same exact dream and feel the same thing growing up. I would never be able to explain the dream though but i know that its the same exact dream. When i became an adult i would experience having that feeling even if im awake. It has been creeping me out.

I dont think that it is anxiety attack. Im 28 now.
I see you posted this back in 2012. My 8 yr old daughter is having these same exact episodes. They started 6 months ago & had them quite often for about 3 months. Took her to the Dr & they had no idea what it is. They seemed to stop for a while but are back now. They scare her to death & me as well since I feel like I can't help her when it's happening. She says everything is moving super fast & she hears a loud sound in her head & tells me to quit talking to her because I sound weird. She won't let me touch her either & says that feels weird too. She cries & covers her ears with her hands & begs me to make it stop. I feel so sad & helpless when she has an episode. I have taken her to Dr. A few times but she says it's very hard to explain & she's not sure what makes them happen. They seem to come out of no where but right before it happens I can see a change in her eyes like a blank Ness & fear.  She then starts to cry & says mommy it's happening again. Do you have any suggestions for me to help her through these epidodes? They want me to take her to a psychiatrist but after finding this sight it seems there is no cure or even a name for these feelings that are happening to her. I wish someone knew exactly what it was so I could help her & put her mind at ease. She is scared to death of the feeling it gives her. Any advice you have would greatly help. I know she isn't just making this up because I can see it in her eyes & I can see just how frightened she is when the sensation comes over her. It is out of no where too. We can be driving in the car or playing outside or anywhere & they come on all of a sudden. What a horrible thing to have to live with especially as a child. I feel terrible for her as well as the rest of you all with the same stories on here. I'm so glad I found this site.

I used to get this all time when I was a kid. I'm 20 now and have only had it happen to me once this year. I noticed that it would happen if I was concentrating really hard. I would get it during math tests and the most recent one i got it while reading an interesting article. When I was younger I could feel it coming and try to shake it off. I know it is far fetched but my mom has a friend who is psychic and she said it's a sign that you may be capable of being psychic if you choose to train your mind. I somewhat believe it as when I was a kid I had imaginary friends that we're "murdered" and sometimes saw people who weren't there, at my friend's houses. But there is no way I'm gunna choose to see ghosts!
Wow. I used to get this when I was young, about 5-8 I think. I think my sister did too. My Dad definitely did.  My Mum didn't know what we were talking about!
Luckily my Dad did so I thought of it as just an annoying thing that happened like growing pains.
It only happened  when I was about to fall asleep.
The only way to get rid of it was to walk really fast or run down the hallway. Ie. Not be sleepy. Then I would snap out of it.
I remember the loud noise thing but more so,  the weird sensation that rough was smooth and smooth was rough.  This came first.
I grew out of it.
I don't remember it being linked to stress at all, just growing -  like growing pains you get in your legs as a kid.
I have had anxiety / depression issues in my adult years  but I think a lot of people do. Don't think it's related

Bizarre that there is no name for it as it's a very  freaky sensation . I told a few doctors- they checked my heart beat then said they didn't know...
Luckily my Dad understood so I just waited for it to pass. He didn't make a fuss, no biggie,  so I didn't worry about it ( it was just annoying). His laid back attitude helped , in hindsight.
Your not crazy people.

I grew out of it.

Your not crazy people.

It's so weird sitting here reading all of these comments, most of which explain exactly the feelings I get. I think I've tried Googling it a while back but couldn't find anything, or maybe I didn't know what to type.
It's like everything is going fast but slow, and it doesn't last long for me but the only thing I can do to feel any better is lay down and close my eyes (sometimes block my ears) until it goes away. I also hear the loud noises like some people, I could never figure out what it was, sometimes I thought it was talking but going so fast I couldn't understand, but it was weird. Even when it was quiet, it was loud.
The first time I can remember getting it was when I was about 6 or 7, it was late at night and I was in the car with my mum. I had no idea, still don't know, what it is. Maybe brought on by tiredness? I used to get them now and then, then more frequently over time and especially last year, but they've settled recently, come to think of it I haven't felt it in a little while.
Reading the comments, I'm really interested to ask if my parents ever felt it! I think I've tried to (really poorly) explain to my mum and ask if she knows what I'm talking about, but I don't think I've ever asked my dad.
Anyways, yeah I never knew if it was tiredness, anxiety, but it's interesting and nice (not nice but, you know) that someone else feels how I'm feeling because I've never come across it before.
Hi! Thank you so much for posting your comment. I'm so sorry to hear of your daughter's distress over what she's going through.
I've finally "googled" this topic and am so relieved to hear about others' experiences as my 11 year old son has just had another episode of this tonight. He gets extremely scared and freaked out by these "fast feelings", where objects also rush right up to his face or seem really far away. Unfortunately this forum hasn't come up with too many explanations or "cures" for this, but it really helps to know that this condition can decrease in later life.
When I found this forum, I was able to tell my son that others have the same feelings, that he's not going crazy and that lots of people know what he's going through. He seemed relieved too.
I hope you and your daughter find a way to work through all of this, and that she is confident in herself that there's nothing wrong with her.
As a Mum, it's so hard to see your child suffer, when there's not much you can do at the time, but I pray that you will both find the resources to cope, or basically that it doesn't ever happen again!
All the best.xxx
That is exactly what happens to me. I'm 13 yrs old. It has been happening since I was like 6, and I thought I was the only one. It always feels like everything is going in fast motion, sounds are louder, and even my thoughts are racing. I feel as if I'm going really fast, but at the same time I don't. The time they last is different every time; I've had them only last for a couple minutes and the longest is 20 minutes. I don't really mind them that much, but they can be distracting and I can't really focus and it messes me up when I'm doing school work.
I do have major anxiety, but they only happen when I'm calm and relaxed or doing work.
Whenever I try to explain it to somebody they always laugh at me, even my mom.
I really hate coffee, and the only caffeinated drinks that I have are chai tea and tea's that have caffeine, and I don't really drink those that often. So, I don't think that's the reason why I have them.
Thank you for your time.
Hi Sadie, my guess is you're a brilliant girl with a vivid imagination and boundless creativity and have a very broad spectrum of emotion (which can be a curse and a blessing) you're also entering a very hormonal stage in your life and this can contribute to chemical changes in the body leaving you feeling like you don't know who you'll be from one moment to the next. Keep an eye out for potential hypomanic symptoms and rapid cycling of emotions...do a little research online about these symptoms to see if you identify with any of them. Racing thought and pressured speach can indicate some degree of hypomania. I know what this is like and I remember in my teens feeling this way...I was also very obsessed with whatever took my fancy and would get fixated on things sometimes for long periods. Soooo glad you are putting yourself out there and asking questions. I was clueless back then and so was my family and i suffered, school suffered, relationships suffered as a result. Journal and keep a log of your moods and symptoms and take special care to pay attention to how you are feeling around your period. Hope this helps :)