Comprehensive Dentistry Forum

Gum Disease

I have from a moderate to severe gum disease .

The problem on my part being that even with Dental insurance, I can not afford the 50% co- pay.  Ii did lose a rear upper molar a couple of weeks ago . It was very loose for a long time so I am more comfortable now  It is not visible cosmetically..  I need to resolve occasional breath issues do to the problem as well.  

I am out of work at the present time. 50% of thousands is still thousands...

Is there anything I can do / take on my own to curb this until such time as i can afford to do something about it.? I thought that perhaps a store bought electric plaque remover to go as deep as I can around the gum line might help ??

Note. Real bad Orthodontics in my teens separated by teeth from the bone. In addition   I didn't have very good dental care nor  was I real good with my own dental care as a teen. (4 on the floor in prep for the braces)  I think that this all started building up at the time I had braces about 40 years ago.  I am worried that if root planning and scaling were done now, it would loosen the gums and perhaps initiate the loss of additional teeth??

Previous X-ray shows infection in the gum toward the lower rear teeth I think.  

I was given a prescription a while ago of Periostat to aid in halting the process about 8 years ago.  The periodontist / dentist informed me that the Periostat in addition to treatment  is the ticket. He put me on Periostat till l I could get periodontal treatment done to aid in stopping bacteria of something like that?  This was years ago and I still call in for refill every once in a while and take it twice daily for about a month or so.  One dentist also prescribed an oral rinse instead of the Periostat.   Love to know what that was .  

What does one do if they don't have the money or financial ability to get a credit card to handle this ??

Can it really  be fixed?

Thank you much for your assistance!
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.