Aa
A
A
A
Close
Genetic Disorders Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Autistic Siblings

I have a grown son who is autistic / mentally challenged. My daughter has an IQ in the 140's, and is recently married. If she has children, is there a higher risk of her having a child with autism? Is there some kind of genetic testing that can be done before she and her husband make a decision on having children?
1 Responses
886824 tn?1253740254
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Autism and developmental delay are complex disorders with both genetic and non-genetic causes. About 10% of people with autism have a genetic condition that may or may not be inherited. There are numerous genetic conditions that can cause autism and/or developmental delay, including certain chromosome abnormalities and Fragile X syndrome.

We recommend that your son meet with a clinical geneticist for evaluation. A clinical geneticist can perform a detailed physical exam and may order tests to help determine if there is a genetic cause for your son's behaviours and problems. This information may be informative to other family members, especially your daughter. A medical geneticist can be found at the American College of Medical Genetics website.

We recommend that your daughter and her husband meet with a genetic counselor, who can assess risk based on ethnicity, personal and family history and discuss appropriate testing options. A genetic counselor can be found at the National Society of Genetic Counselors website or through companies like mine, AccessDNA. Best wishes to you and your family.
Popular Resources
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.