Heart Disease Forum

Ascending thoracic aorta aneursym

I had an MRA in June that showed my aneursym to be "4.5 x 4.6 cm at the level of right pulmonary artery and 3.5 x 3.5 cm at the level of sinuses of Valsalva". On September 4 I had a CT scan to check my lungs and the report said "Ectasia of the ascending thoracic aorta measuring up to 7.8 cm in transverse dimension is stable".

Does this mean that my aneursym has grown to 7.8 cm or that the measurement of my ascending thoracic aorta and not my aneursym?

Please let me know,....thank you.
Hi Frieda5,

Without seeing your actual images, it is hard to answer this question via the internet.  That being said, the measurements on the MRA and CT scans you had should be relatively comparable.  That doesn't appear to be the case looking at the numbers you have written.  The CT report states that your ascending thoracic aorta measurement is stable, but the numbers don't match up.  I would call your cardiologist and discuss the difference between the two reports.  He/she can better clarify the discrepancy.

Hope that helps!
CCFHeartMD20
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.