Heart Disease Forum

Many questions to easy my mind

How can a regular echo show a aneurysm then have a  pro/echo not indicating a thing?
How many heart ablations can you have?  During my last 2 ablations my heart muscle swelled indicating that the fast heart rate where "zapped" but the fast rate came back within 6 wks, is that normal for a heart to be that sensitive?
Why is it important to take a daily aspirin when you have a PFO/ASA? Wouldn't closing the whole make the aspirin routine end?
Having a SVT I don't understand how my blood pressure could be 111/74 with my heart rate/heart pulse 71 after dancing for 30 minutes. Im not a exercise person
thank you
Hello. We will go through your questions one by one,
1. Two echocardiograms done the same day can be very different depending who perform and read the exam. Obviously in your case one is right and the other one wrong. If the one that didn't show an aneurysm was done by a better operator I'll stick to that report.
2. There is no specific limit in the amount of ablations that a patient can have. Although, if an arrhythmia recurs despite having more than 3 unsuccessful ablations, makes you think that would be reasonable to try a different approach.
3. If the palpitations recur after having an ablation, the first thing is to prove that the patient is having the same arrhythmia before the ablation and is not something else.
4. A PFO can produce a paradoxical embolism (a venous clot that gets in the arterial system through the PFO and produce a thrombosis). Aspirin is the usual initial approach and if the patient has an embolism is started on blood thinners (i.e. Coumadin). There is no evidence at this time that closing a PFO is superior to aspirin or Coumadin. The procedure is usually indicated if the patient has an embolism under Coumadin treatment. The percutaneous procedure (Amplatzer) is very expensive and has it owns risks, so let's stick to the aspirin.
5. Your blood pressure and heart rate while dancing will depend on what type of dancing you are doing (i.e. the amount of energy required to do the exercise). If you don't have shortness of breath while dancing I won’t worry.

Good luck.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.