Can I get herpes from sharing a sex toy?

Recently I shared a sex toy with my new (now ex) girlfriend. It was a vibrating dildo and she did not tell me she had herpes, until I found an old pill bottle in the bathroom. If the toy was washed with dish soap and cold water could I still have contracted herpes? I'm really scared right now and don't know what to do. Please help!
COMMUNITY LEADER
If the toy was cleaned in between her using it, and you using it, then no, you don't have anything to worry about. If it went from her immediately to you without a pause in between or washing, then yes, it's possible.

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.