Immunization Community
689 Members

Queries on rabies vaccination!

Hi experts,

I am not quite sure on whether is this the right forum to ask this, but any replies will be truly appreciated.

I live in South East Asia and a couple of days ago, a bat frequented my house. It look sick as it try to fly but plopped on the floor frequently, and as I have no knowledge on rabies for bats, I actually chase it out with a stick :)

As I suspect that it may have been in my house prior to our encounter, I did some googling on bat disease and rabies caught my eye. So I took my wife and kids to go for the three doses of preventive vaccination within 72 hours of when I chase out the bat. We are currently waiting for our 2nd dose.

But now I read that bat bites may sometimes be painless and leave no mark? Though I do not see any visible bite scar on my family, I am worried as I am not sure on whether will the preventive vaccination be enough if a bite occurred without us knowing?

Thank you.
Uncle Pew
The three doses are for PRE-exposure protection.  For POST-exposure protection, you should have also received the immunoglobulin: https://www.immunize.org/askexperts/experts_rab.asp and an additional dose.

While a bat CAN bite without leaving a mark, it isn't all that  likely, and also, the bat could have been sick with something besides rabies.  You should talk to your doctor ASAP about your concerns.
Thanks for the advise! Truly appreciate it. I called and the hospital did mentioned that they do not have immunoglobulin in stock. As there are no visible scars, maybe I will bring the family for more doses instead.  Thanks again.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments