Occasional white light flash in my peripheral vision

I am seeing an intermittant flash of white light in my left peripheral vision that looks like a moving circle or C.  I can see it with my eye open or closed and it seems to be worse at times.  Sometimes I don't notice it, but if I am in a dark ambient environment, I can sometimes see it flash every few seconds.  Sometimes I don't notice it at all.  I am 47 y.o. and it just started a few months ago.  Any ideas?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I've been experiencing two grey dots on the side of my vision. It started a week ago. I only see it when I move my eye horizontly and when there is white walls or light. When I'm in the dark, I see a white flash when I move my eyes up. Only in my left eye tho. Any suggestions why?
Helpful - 2
My grey dot exists and behaves exactly like yours Obie82. My optician took a long look into my eye and declared it was, '... a bit of calcified vitreous humor'. I am now 69 and have had the dot for two years. It has not grown any bigger and is mainly obscured by the arm of my glasses, so it doesn't bother me too much on a day to day basis. Hope this helps.
Thanks to everyone for your input.  I was worried to cause the lights like fireworks started last week after some garage work when I was walking up the stairs.  At first I thought "wow that's cool" and passed it off as exertion.  Then the C shaped white light started showing up in my peripheral vision of my right eye. It seems to be more frequent at night....or maybe just more noticeable then.  I am glad I found this website and thankful to hear that I am not alone and it doesn't sound like anything too serious.   I am 56 and in good health.  I did suffer from childhood migraines but thankfully out grew them.  I had wavy vision toward the bottom of both eyes when I was in my 20's and the said that was ocular migraines but that went away too. Hopefully this will too...thanks again!
Helpful - 1
I'm 18, and I experience these white flashes typically outside or before I go to bed. They've been happening more and more frequently yet I failed to inform my optometrist on my annual visit last week. Should this be something of concern at my age? Should I follow up and schedule another appointment or wait it out untill it gets worse?
Helpful - 1
I hope u were able to figure out what was/is going on with ur vision
I have been suffering with this issues for about 6 yrs off and on now. I was diagnosed with Glaucoma, primary angle I believe. Just went in for  a recent field of vision test... Results showed I didnt lose any peripheral vision but, I STILL see the balls of lights. It was in the right eye mainly but, now I notice I see it in the Left. Mentioned it to eye dr & she told me when I come back, if I still have issues, they will look into retinal tear.  Its so scary. I mean, it comes & goes so quickly BUT, I always think, What if it flashes & I stay that way??? I ADORE my gift of sight & just the VERY thought of losing it, would HONESTLY , be more than I could bear :(
Helpful - 1
I am 63 and, several days ago, unexpectedly, was exposed to extremely bright, noon time, reflected sunlight.

Several hours later a spider web strand type floater appeared in my left eye at the far edge.

Last night, I experimented by quickly turning my head back and forth. To my displeasure I saw a "lightening bolt" type bright line in the same general area where the floater is. So far, this bright streak is only visible when I induce it by quickly turning my head.

Wondering what I should do.
Helpful - 1
I just turned 45 on the 2nd of June, & saw for the first time, this strange like spinning tiny orb of light out of my left eye in my peripheral, it's always dropping quickly, & just for a second, yellowish bright white.  The first time I ever saw it, freaked me out, I got so anxious it made me cry & think I had a tumor or maybe a stroke or something.  I haven't been feeling myself for the past week, I am thinking that I might be or starting early menopause.  I still have to see the doc, but thank goodness I looked it up, you guys have calmed me down quite a bit.  I know we all have to die sometime, but I am terrified of leaving my kids, have four, of which the two youngest are still at home (8 & 14).  I lost my mother when I was 25 & still needed her so much then & now.  I have been wearing glasses since I was 9 and have seen floaters as far as I can remember, & have astigmatisim.  I do have migraines, & have experience the auras, I looked them up on Youtube, & I found videos of what I exactly see, the arc starts small like a c, then gets larger & flickers like a prism until it dissapears, soon followed sometimes by a headache.  I can't believe we still know so little about our human bodies & that some docs don't even know what we are talking about!!  Hope to have an answer soon!  Thanks guys for posting & calming my nerves!
Helpful - 1
This has been posted a long time a go, i hope the right people will get my comment. I started having this also. Very bright light and sometimes shadows.
I found this thread here and just after i found this: http://www.livestrong.com/article/202005-what-causes-flashes-in-the-outer-corner-of-the-eye/
which sounds a bit scary but also calmly confronting and logical.

***@****
Helpful - 0
This was copied from perret-optic.com and may explain it (I get them also).

The vitreous is a gel-like fluid which fills most of the eye. As people age, this vitreous becomes more and more liquefied. The vitreous has loose attachments to the retina, and more firm attachments to the optic nerve. At some point in a person's life, the vitreous liquefies enough to shift position in the eye. When this occurs, usually between age 50 and 70, the back edge of the vitreous will pull forward away from the retina, leading to a "vitreous detachment". This is generally a normal process, although it may happen abnormally early in cases of high nearsightedness or trauma. As the vitreous detaches, it tugs on the retina.*** This is perceived as a flash of light, similar to a lightning flash in the corner of the vision.*** It may occur especially with eye movement, since the vitreous moves in the eye. Debris pulled off of the optic nerve and retina are then seen as floaters, suspended in the vitreous above the retina. Sometimes this is described as a cobweb, a net, a string, or a fly over the vision.

These symptoms usually resolve over a period of days to weeks, although some people will continue to see the floaters for a longer period of time. The important thing is to determine that the retina is healthy as the vitreous detaches. This requires a careful dilated examination of the retina to look for tears, or other areas which may be at risk for tearing. A retinal tear can then lead to retinal detachment, if not treated. Thus, people experiencing these symptoms should be examined by an ophthalmologist as soon as possible. (Note, only about 1 in 10,000 cases of vitreous detachment lead to retinal detachment, but it still is one of the most common causes of retinal detachment.)

Helpful - 0
great advice.  I read that also.  If you can by all means have it checked.  It is considered a medical exam not exam like from your eye plan.  Usually $80.00
thank you
glad to hear this is a common problem, I'm 60 and have been experiencing the flashing light in my left eye for several months.  I do have high blood pressure and I was worried it was related to stroke.  I do not have any health insurance and can't afford expensive tests, but I think I can afford an eye exam to verify the problem.
Helpful - 0
I just got back from the eye doctor for the exact same problem. The C did not move for me. When I moved my eye. the C stayed in the same place. It was diagnosed as an ocular migraine. I experienced nausea the day after and light and sound sensitivity.
Helpful - 0
hi there! I was experiencing occasional occurrence of spots bright balls falling on my left peripheral vision. I'm 25 years old/ female. This concerns me too much since it was only occasional before but i noticed recently they appear almost every hour. Still, I haven't consulted an eye specialist because of my busy schedule. I am hoping someone could tell me what exactly am I experiencing? thank you.  
Helpful - 0
Thanks NY2CA.

The flashes started tonite (7-17-12) and occur in my peripheral when I move my head side to side.

I'll see if it goes away this week, and may need to get it checked to see if retinal detachment is occurring.

Regards,

Brian
Helpful - 0
My daughter is ten years old she has been seeing a white light streak in both eyes several times a day for three days i thought at first it was a detached retina but the odds of having one in both eyes r not good just wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this she has a doctors appt. next week
Helpful - 0
you all have been helpful. I got hit in the left eye about a couple of weeks ago and ever since then have been seeing this ball of light "float" from the bottom corner of my left eye to the top corner of my left eye (which is why im on here). Its actually quite aggravating! it happens from seconds to minutes.thought it would go away on its own, but i definately will be seeing a doctor or opthalmologist now! i hope its not vitreous or retina detachment. i still can see perfect.
Helpful - 0
Thank you so very much for this information, I too have just started this, at first I thought it was the florescent lights at work.  I did go into my eye doctor and was confirmed to have great vision, she thought it may be a corroded artery, since I have hypertension.  So I then proceeded to see my health doctor and went in for an ultrasound.  Everything was great there too.  I am going to share this information with both doctors because they acted as if they have never ever heard of this before.  I don't have migraines, so I ruled that out myself.  I did notice though, when I put moisture in the form of liquid tears into my eyes it seems to help the symptom.
Helpful - 0
I am 59, and have been seeing these flashes for 2 days now.  I know I was seriously dehydrated two days ago.  My blood pressure is normally in the low-ideal range and I have enjoyed terrific health and mobility.  I have taken care of elderly folks since I was 14 and in those 45 years, none of them mentioned this occurring to them.  

I am wondering how many of us are right-handed and press our cell phones hard against our left ears.
Helpful - 0
I've had my vision and blood pressure checked, finally after 2 years and two trips to ER, migraines are my issue, just happy to know what it is. Also glad that there's no pain involved.
Helpful - 0
I had the same symptoms. In both eyes, mostly at night, sometimes first thing in the morning. A half circle of light at the outside edge of both eyes. I can reproduce this by pressing the inner corners of my eyes, that makes the circles of light appear. Weird. Thorough eye exam diagnosis was posterior vitreous detachment, as described above. Nothing needs to be done. Recheck in one year.
Helpful - 0
I had started having the same problem with the C light show in both eyes. It moves with my eyes when they move. At this time my doctor is checking me for pituitary gland tumor. She said that it is possible that the tumor could be pressing on my optic nerve. She has done blood work and I should get the results back this week. They are then going to do an MRI if the blood works points to me having the tumor.
Helpful - 0
That sounds exactly like a migraine aura except you didn't get the pain of the headache.
Sorry this was meant for the comment below..
This morning, all of a sudden, I started seeing a backwards C that consisted of flashing lights that were in the form of tiny little squares like the "bytes" on our tv when our satellite is not connecting property.  When it started, it blocked the center of what I was reading, then the backwards C started moving to the right, the arc of the C started to get larger but less clear and after about 20 minutes, it disappeared all together.  I could see it with my eyes closed and I could see it when I covered one eye and then the other.
On a few occasions over the past year or so, I thought I was seeing a flash of light in my lower left peripheral vision but it happens so fast, when it happens I would wonder....did that really happen?  It doesn't sound like something that should be worrisome but I plan to call my eye Dr. today just  to be cautious.
Helpful - 0
Mines as if someone has been taking pictures or like a beam almost occurs inside and outside during the middle of the day during work. Not sure what this is...
Helpful - 0
I've been experiencing this for the past 6 months or so. I am only 19 years old however. Some times it seems as if I can see some white particles building up in the bottom of my peripheral vision when I close my eyes or enter very dark rooms, and it just lingers down there until it swoops around to the side of my peripheral vision in a C-motion. I also  get these flashes with my eyes open.

Does anyone happen to have any symptoms with their ears? Sometimes the outer rim of my left ear canal begins to itch really badly, it becomes extremely agitated, it starts to feel a bit hot. This seems to happen right before my white flashes begins to flare up in my vision.
Helpful - 0
I just wanted to say your condition sounds similar to mine, although I am not sure if it is the same or not. Mine happens in both eyes, although it started only in my left eye. I see a circle of light that moves up or down in my peripheral vision.

Anyways, let me know if you find out anything. I'm still waiting to see a neurologist.
Helpful - 0
The white flash is only at the bottom of my left eye. My right eye seems to be fine.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community