Zika virus

I want to send my daughter to Florida in April for a 1 week vacation. I will be 33 weeks pregnant. We live in Colorado, should I be concerned at all about the risk of Zika virus and myself? I will ask my obgyn at my next apt. Just curious if I should continue to look for plane tickets or hold off til summer.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I live in Florida. Currently, they have found no evidence of our local mosquitos carrying the virus. All cases of Zika have come from people who have traveled outside of the country to South America. If you are still worried,buy a bottle of bug spray and wear it when outside. There is jo reason jot to enjoy your stay here!
Helpful - 1
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi, there is no real concern as the CDC has not confirmed any actual cases here and very few people actually get sick from this virus. But do check with your doc before.
Helpful - 0
@shekat85 its through bodily fluids. Ie saliva counts. If they share cutlery, a straw, a cup... Back wash if sharing any drink It could be transmitted. Lower risk, but its a way.

There shouldn't be any issues, its still not in FL
Helpful - 0
I live in Florida. Currently, they have found no evidence of our local mosquitos carrying the virus. All cases of Zika have come from people who have traveled outside of the country to South America. If you are still worried,buy a bottle of bug spray and wear it when outside. There is no reason not to enjoy your stay here!
Helpful - 0
Your so far into your pregnancy that it probably won't matter if you were to get it anyway. But how would you get it if it's your daughter that's going and the virus is only spred through sexual contact or a mosquito bite?
Helpful - 0
I live in Florida and just had my daughter 2 weeks ago. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
Idk if id risk it. But id ask your obgyn
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Zika Virus Community

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Before your drop a dime at the pharmacy, find out if these popular cold and flu home remedies are a wonder or a waste
Fend off colds and the flu with these disease-fighting foods