breastfeeding and zika

Hi, I traveled to cancun recently without my baby. On my return I realized I could have the zika virus because I was bit bu several mosquitos. I have not breastfed my 3 month baby out of this fear. I know the CDC recommends breastfeeding because the benefit outweighs the potential risk but I am still scared to breastfeed because there just is not enough information and research on this topic. What should I do? Get tested or just wait a few weeks for it leave my system if I even have it.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I can completely understand your concerns.  There haven't documented cases of transferring the virus via breastmilk, but as you stated, it's kind of new and there hasn't been time to do a lot of research.  

I think you should do whatever is going to alleviate your fears completely.  Obviously, a test will do that.  If you are negative, then you can relax.  Otherwise, you might just be waiting for symptoms and not know when to stop waiting.  But of course it's entirely up to you, and the odds are extremely low that you 1) caught it, and 2) could possibly transmit it via breastmilk.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Zika Virus Community

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Before your drop a dime at the pharmacy, find out if these popular cold and flu home remedies are a wonder or a waste
Fend off colds and the flu with these disease-fighting foods