Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

afraid to take meds

I have been prescribed xanax along with a daily med for anxiety and panic attacks. Im too afraid to take the xanax after reading the warning labels and info booklet. Anyone take this? I am just wondering how it affects a person. Im worried it might make the panic attacks worse.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Not that anyone cared to respond, but i finally worked up the nerve to take one. They dont help much.
Helpful - 0
1211508 tn?1343079605
Take it.  I am EXACTLY like you.  I'm an agoraphobic, hypochondriac, and have major panic attacks.  I am sooooo afraid to take those kind of meds (or any meds) too.  But one day I had a really awful day.  I felt like I was gonna die.  So I cut the Xanax pill in half.  Man am I glad I did that.  No side effects...I just felt normal again.  Trust me, you will be thankful you take it.  Don't expect it to make you feel totally different.  You will just feel better.  It's not like cocaine where there's an instant buzz.  Best of luck to you!
Helpful - 0
539024 tn?1270578997
I agree totally with James.  There was a period in my life where it is the only thing that cut through the panic and anxiety that I could operate normally.  I don't use it much anymore, but my doctor believes firmly in quality of life and the use of benzos to achieve that quality while also pursuing counseling, etc.  I hope you feel better...
Helpful - 0
2090734 tn?1333215158
I go to my psuchologist twice a week and i told her from the start i dont not want to take meds i want to try and do this on my own, im very scared of pills of any kind, i feel like they make pple zone out and they seem to make some pple more crazy esp. when you try to come off of them, i dont want to be dependent on pills.. i dont feel they are safe.. this is very hard for me to just see my doctor and try on my own, but i know id have way more panic and anxiety if i was on pills. If it works for most people and they feel better with meds hats to them!! im happy about that, but for myself i personally am too afraid of that stuff.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Agoraphobia Community

Top Anxiety Answerers
Arlington, VA
675718 tn?1530033033
El Paso, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Find out what can trigger a panic attack – and what to do if you have one.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Take control of tension today.
These simple pick-me-ups squash stress.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?