afraid to take meds

I have been prescribed xanax along with a daily med for anxiety and panic attacks. Im too afraid to take the xanax after reading the warning labels and info booklet. Anyone take this? I am just wondering how it affects a person. Im worried it might make the panic attacks worse.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Not that anyone cared to respond, but i finally worked up the nerve to take one. They dont help much.
Helpful - 0
Take it.  I am EXACTLY like you.  I'm an agoraphobic, hypochondriac, and have major panic attacks.  I am sooooo afraid to take those kind of meds (or any meds) too.  But one day I had a really awful day.  I felt like I was gonna die.  So I cut the Xanax pill in half.  Man am I glad I did that.  No side effects...I just felt normal again.  Trust me, you will be thankful you take it.  Don't expect it to make you feel totally different.  You will just feel better.  It's not like cocaine where there's an instant buzz.  Best of luck to you!
Helpful - 0
I agree totally with James.  There was a period in my life where it is the only thing that cut through the panic and anxiety that I could operate normally.  I don't use it much anymore, but my doctor believes firmly in quality of life and the use of benzos to achieve that quality while also pursuing counseling, etc.  I hope you feel better...
Helpful - 0
I go to my psuchologist twice a week and i told her from the start i dont not want to take meds i want to try and do this on my own, im very scared of pills of any kind, i feel like they make pple zone out and they seem to make some pple more crazy esp. when you try to come off of them, i dont want to be dependent on pills.. i dont feel they are safe.. this is very hard for me to just see my doctor and try on my own, but i know id have way more panic and anxiety if i was on pills. If it works for most people and they feel better with meds hats to them!! im happy about that, but for myself i personally am too afraid of that stuff.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Agoraphobia Community