meds that help agoraphobia?

I have had agorophobia since I was a young adult.  I managed to work most of the time when depression and anxiety didn't have me completely down and out.  I still have some problem with depression and anxiety but am much better.  The agoraphobia is still a problem.  If I'm with someone, I manage much better, but when I have to go someplace on my own, I often just can't do it.  I take an antidepressent but it doesn't seem to help the agoraphobia.  Has anyone on this forum found a med that specifically helps agoraphobia?  I am really tired of dealing with it.  I do see a pschologist but it isn't anything we have talked about much and I am going to bring it up on my next appointment but she has never mentioned any meds that might help.  Appreciate any suggestions anyone might have!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You are talking a quick fix, quick kick in form of medication? Sadly the main one is the worst one of them all. Most addictive tablet out there. Xanax. It works almost instantly. Give or take a few minutes. Hence it is given to people to take when needed. If a panic attack kicks in they could take a certain dose. But it is not a tablet I would endorse to anybody. Short life form of medication. Which means tolerance to it grows quickly and you need to up the dose to get the same effect after a certain amount of months. Your body gets used to it. So the starting dose would do nothing for you in a few months but you would still need to take it as your body needs it. People get hooked on it. There is also Valium. Better choice. They are all addictive. But Valium is easier on the body. Yes you can feel the kick in effect and the come down effect too. But it is easier to come off of come the end of the day. Xanax is very hard to come off of. Just about making the right choice for you.
Helpful - 0
i have the same problems and i take xanax. i rarely take it since i started my vyvanse for adhd. it helped a lot with anxiety but i still have the agoraphobia issues. the only thing that helps me is prayer and maybe a xanax. i don't get out that much except to take my son to school. i have bipolar disorder, adhd, general anxiety and issues with joint and back pain. i would just try getting out in baby steps, maybe to a little grocery store or even a gas station and then go from there to places that you will be at a little longer. i have trouble with social gatherings because of the fear of not being able to leave when i want to or having to be there an unspecified amount of time. i would suggest xanax but you have to be so careful because it is addictive. i wouldn't take it every day but it could help. if you have adhd too i would suggest vyvanse that could help too. i hope you believe in god because that is the only thing that gets me thru sometimes. i have panic attacks because of just wanting to go home when i'm out, i'm sure you do too. if you've never been on an anti anxiety medicine you might start out with ativan, it's the weakest but if you respond to medicine well it might work, it's still addictive but not as bad. if you see a psychiatrist he or she might start you out on ativan anyway. buspar is another one but you take that every day, ask about that too.  best of luck to you and just hang in there and try baby steps until you can work your way up to bigger ones.  get in to see your psychiatrist or whoever you see for meds soon.
Helpful - 0
klonapin seems to work for short periods of time.
Helpful - 0
All the benzodiazepines are effective for agoraphobia but stay away from the xanax if you need a med. to take daily. Try klonopin instead.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Agoraphobia Community