Five years ago diagnosed with BPD

About five years ago I went to the head psyc at the University of Washington Med Center. He did a full write up on me after a two hour appointment. I have bipolar, 24 years now. This is why I went to this appt because my Pdoc wasn't having any luck with my meds. When I rec'd a copy of the report in the mail this head psyc listed "patient suffers from BPD". I was shocked. I asked the psyc at the school I work at about this and he told me he could see this in me too. Seroquil (sp?) was added to my regiment of pills. My body did not handle this at all. I already take Lithium, Lamictal, Diazepam and Lexapro.

My question is this: Other than a diagnosis, how can one tell if they have BPD? I still won't believe that I have this since my bipolar symptoms are closely related. Any suggestions or personal stories? Any recommendations on where to find info for this? Am I in denial?

~El
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi:)

Bipolar and BPD have alot of commonalities. But it is possible for them to co-exist as two seperate diagnosis.

You can do a google search for BPD symptoms and many web sites list the criteria you need to meet in order to have the diagnosis. In other words for any diagnosis you would need to meet a certain number of symptoms in order to be diagnosed with that certain condition.

But you aren't your diagnosis. It's just a label and personality disorders are hard to diagnose and difficult to treat because it requires alot of therapy and there are no medications that have shown to benefit BPD overall but meds are usually used to treat the symptoms of BPD..like depression, anxiety, mood swings.

But no matter what no diagnosis, no label..makes you who you are. They are only words string together for the purpose of insurance companies. The important thing is how you feel about yourself and what you want to work on. If there are things you want to change about your life or the way you feel. Thta's what is important.
Diagnisis means nothing when it comes to working on the things you would like to.

Do you have a therapist or psychiatrist. Seroquil isn't successful for everything and is one of those meds used for alot of different things depending on the dose they prescribes. It can be an ant-anxiety med, a sleeping aid, and an anti-psychotic at really high doses. But not evetyone reacts well to it and there are so many other meds that may benefit you more.

If you don't have a therapist of psychiatrist, I would recommend finding one that you think you could trust and talk to about things.

I hope you get the answers your looking for. But I hope you also remember you aren't a diagnosis and they'r eonly words. Whats important is how you feel and making sure you feel good about yourself and your life and no diagmosis can change that either way. You deserve more than words on a piece of paper to define who you are. Yo utear that piece of paper up and you still exist and you still are who you are.

Amph
Helpful - 0
I was diagnosed about 3 months ago with BPD, after thinking I was bipolar. Today I found out from my main psychiatrist that I could have BPD and Cyclothymia at the same time....Im on a regimine of cymbalta, abilify and klonopin...

However, I've gotten some great books on BPD so I can give you a quick list of what they say the symptoms are.... You should also look into Dialectal Behavioral Therapy which is the best therapy for bi polar and BPD...  Ill list the books, and the symptoms quickly so that I can atleast answer your question...

I myself am still dealing with this everyday... I am in no way a doctor, Im only going by what I've read and what my therapist tells me...

Ok, so they list BPD with the following Criteria (Ill shorten it since its a bit lengthy)

1. Frantic Efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment
2.Patterns of unstable/intense interpersonal relationships.  Alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation
3. Identity Disturbance
4. Impulsivity in at least two areas that are ptentially self damaging.

***Note, im not done, but you can see how BPD and Bi Polar overlap already***

5. Self Mutilating behavior.
6. Mood Instability (ie intense episodic depression, irritability or anxiety usually lasting a few hours rarely more than a few days.
7. Chronic feelings of emptiness
8. Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (ie, frequent displays of temper, constant anger or physical fights)
9. Stress related paranoia or severe dissociative symptoms ( feelings of unreality ).

I hope this helps... The book is "Sometimes I act crazy" by Jerold J. Kreisman M.D. and Hal Straus.

Its a really really good book. Check out the book on amazon, you can read some pages.....

Good Luck with everything.

Marah H.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Borderline Personality Disorder Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?