Breastfeeding Community

How can I produce more breast milk?

My daughter is 11 weeks today. When my daughter was born she would only latch onto my right breast, completely ignoring my left. I have been nursing and pumping all day long it seems but i can not get a storage supply going. At around 6 weeks she started latching onto my left breast and seems to do ok but when i pump on my left breast i can only get about 1 1/2 ounces out of it ALL DAY. I pump 3 to 4 times a day. From my right breast i can pump about 5-6 ounces almost every time I pump. I around 6-7pm I am having to use my milk from my storage supply because my daughter starts to get frustrated and fussy like there is no milk in my breasts. Is there anything I can do to help myself produce more milk? It just seems like I am nursing my daughter all day long and pumping all day long! I am going back to work in a month and i just don't want to give my daughter formula. She is growing like a weed! Help!
Some foods are said to help, such as non-alcoholic beer, and Mother's Milk tea.  Keep well hydrated also.  You could speak to your doctor about it, too.  I know in Canada there is a pill that is sometimes prescribed to help with the milk supply, but I don't know if it really works that well and also if it is even available in the US.
One of the foods that helped me was oatmeal. Good luck
Fenugreek!!!  It works!  I got it at GNC and can produce about 4 oz on each breast.  Mother's milk works, but you'll have to drink about 10 cups of tea a day in order for it to have some results.  
I had the same issues at the begining with nursing and pumping and never leaving either... Still to this day I produce half the amounth on my right side than what my left can do. I have tried exclusively feeding from the weak side, I have tried pumping extra times on the right. I tried taking fenugreek seen, more milk special blend liquid herbs, eating oatmeal, etc... No real luck here and it took me 3 months to get 36 4-5oz freezer bags stored up.

Now I am having to use them all cause I am still not producing enough in the evenings to statisfy my almost 8month old. When I am home we EBF, but I work M-TH 1p-midnight, so I pump 3-4x and am lucky to get 6-8oz from pumping.

Talk to a local LC and see if they can give you advice, you dont want to risk you supply on the good side, but they may have you pump every time after nursing on the limited side to help stimulate more milk.

Lots of luck and keep us updated if you find something that helps!!
PS adorable baby!
I would recommend fenugreek and drink so so so much water. Pump after every feeding massaging each breast to get every last drop out. I posted a recipe on this forum recently for lactation cookies you can try those too
Can I ask what kind of pump are you using? I found that the first pump I had was horrible!!!! I got a medela pump and could get in 10 mins what use to take 30-40 min w/the old pump. It completely emptied my breast so it helped increase my supply.

I have tried fenugreek, but do your research on it. I eat oatmeal, and mix granola bars into my yogurt and can see a dramatic increase!
Thank you so much for all the great advice.! I definitely will try anything at this point! But I can honestly say one thing I can do ASAP is drink more water...i am guilty of drinking a ton of water for about 1-2 weeks and then I get tired of water and drink maybe 1-2 glasses a day. I will also eat oatmeal too...should it be plain oatmeal or can it be favored. I have a bunch of maple sugar packages from when I was pregnant. I was manually pumping and about 3 weeks ago I got a really nice medela pump and I did see a difference but only in my right breast. Again thank you all for the advice. I will definitely keep you updated on what works for me :-)
I eat the maple and brown sugar oatmeal, it's my favorite but as long as it's oatmeal any flavor is fine :)
I researched fenugreek & found that it is the ingredient used to flavor maple syrup, so my guess is the maple and brown sugar oatmeal is probably the trick :) thats what I've been eating and my volume has been restored.
It is possible to breastfeed without much of a store built up.

I ebf when I was home with my daughter.  Pumped when I was at work.  THe milk I got at work / a bit extra after feeding her at home, I then fed her the next day.  I never got more than 6 or 8 oz in storage.

Basically fed her just before I left in the morning, then fed her as soon as I got home.  She didn't need too much inbetween.

Hang in there.

I agree w/ the ladies. There are many ways to increase your milk supply.
Skin-to-Skin Contact
Drink plenty of water
FENUGREEK
ROOT BEER
Some women have found that the stomach medicine REGLAN helps (needs to be prescribed, ask your dr. about this option to increase milk supply)

I know you have been pumping and nursing frequently, but more importantly than often is efficiently removing the milk from your breasts… Pump AFTER feedings until you see the last drop and 2 minutes thereafter (to make sure you don’t have another let down and to tell your body “I need more, make more!”) And better yet, hand expression has been found to remove 80% more milk than most pumps. First try massaging your breasts. Next, try finding the “sweet spot” by feeling around the areola starting about an inch from the outside, and working your way in… You want to feel for what seems like a bag of peas… once you feel where those “peas” end (aveoli) is where you want to place your fingers in a C hold…  press back towards the rib cage (press), pull your fingers and your thumb together (compress), and then release (repeat until you don’t see any more milk coming out and then continue for two more minutes just to make certain.  Keep doing this after pumping to make sure you efficiently remove the milk. The more your baby, hand, or pump demand, the more you will make.
Your baby looks healthy and adorable. I think you are doing an awesome job. An actual supply issue is extremely rare (most moms make more than enough for their babies). Your baby may just be going through a growth spurt (they eat more during spurts) so give yourself a good pat on the back! She is thriving! :) Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl.
When I was breastfeeding I noticed that when I didn't drink at least 2,5 liters of water every day I wouldn't produce enough milk. It's very important! Don't subsititute water with anything else either; coffee, soda or even tea isn't the same as just drinking water! I know it's a little bland but it worked wonders for m :) Beautiful picture of your little girl btw, she looks so comfortable and gorgeous! :D