cracked nipple

Hello ladies

I've been feeding my little one for 14 months now and my left nipple has had a crack in it for 4/5 weeks that I can't heal.  Doctor gave me cream for it, but not helping... the pain is awful.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Also when will my periods return?  I only breastfeed 3 times a day now, but still no sign!  I turned 40 this year and was wondering if maybe they will never come back.

All tips/help appreciated

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Oh right, I'll look into nipple shells then.  No I've googled breastfeeding and stomach problems and have seen some responses but I had trouble with my stomach before I had the baby but it got better.  Afterwards it has been so bad since.  Thanks for getting back to me!!
Helpful - 0
Not nipple shields... Nipple shells!

I have not heard of links btw stomach problems and bfing.
Helpful - 0
THanks tired but happy, will try the salt soak!!  I did get nipple shields but my daughter hated them, just kept pulling them off, they didn't go to waste though, my 7 yr old used them as hats for her dolls... so funny!

Can I ask the breastfeeding ladies another question.  Since I started breastfeeding I have had digestive problems now for about 9 months.  At first I thought I had peptic ulcer because my stomach is gnawing every day, but it never goes away, despite medication off the doc and I've been on acid reducing tablets for months now.  So have any of you ladies who are or who have breasfed had trouble with your stomach?

Thanks!!
Helpful - 0
You can try a saline soak (dissolve some table salt in a cup of warm water and dip your nipple in.) my LC said it helps some women with soothing and healing, and also prevents infection.

Another cheap/free option is to put some expressed milk on it after you feed and let it air dry. Works wonders and helped heal some sores on me.

Lanolin does help some, and others say it doesn't do much. Depends on the person. I found it helped with chapped nipples, but not necessarily with healing wounds.

You can also purchase nipple shells, which are hard shells that keep all fabric and materials off the nipple, allowing air to circulate and the nipple to heal. I found this was very effective when used with breast milk on my worst sores. I would first do the saline soak to disinfect and soothe, then apply breast milk, and finally wear the shells. Once everything was healed, I used lanolin to prevent problems. Interestingly, each time I had cracks or sores would try a different combo from the things I listed. They all worked, but differently each time.
Helpful - 0
thanks so much Kate, I will try that... although lanolin is expensive £10 for a tube, but I'll have to get it my nipple is burning from the pain!
Helpful - 0
Lanolin is marvellous for cracks. If you apply generously before a feed, you will begin to heal soon enough even though you are breastfeeding. I have a crack that is healing nicely thanks to my PureLan (Lanolin available online from Medela) Oh, and also I am down to 4 pumps a day and been expressing for 8.5 months now, and still no period - all normal during breastfeeding :) Enjoy it while it lasts!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community