natural way to increase supply?

Is there a natural way to increase your milk supply?
I have a 2 month old that is breastfed only but through a bottle. I can only pump enough for her bottle and no more most if the time.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Do not feel guilty, pumping Is a huge commitment and is hard! Supplementing with formula is fine. Baby will still get lots of health benefits from the breastmilk you do give.
Helpful - 0
unfortunately you may have to feed with formula while ur away from her. my little one is 6 weeks and already downing 5 or more oz every 3-4 hrs and I cant keep up with her and pump and I go back to work today so her pediatrition said to give her formula if her grandparents are watching her and keep what breastmilk I can pump & that I have saved for when daddy is home with her & to just keep nursing &,pumping when im home. im just not making enough to keep up with her appitite.
Helpful - 0
I pump about every 4 hours with an Ameda Purely Yours pump. I've done breast massaging and compressions. I pump for about 20-30 mins depending on the amount of time my let down happens. I only get one let down per pumping session. I have tried about every combo of speed and suction for the pump. And it physically hurts me to nurse straight from me for more than a day. Its not the latch or anything ... I've been to lactation consultants to have them observe the nursing and see if it was correct and it is. I am to the point to where I need to go back to work very soon and I don't even have enough milk saved for her to leave her while I work.
Helpful - 0
Consider changing to breastfeeding if at all possible. There's a hormone released when you breastfeed called oxytocin that causes the let down reflex. Pumping won't produce it.
Helpful - 0
How often are you pumping? You should be doubld pumping with a hospital grade pump such as Medela or Ameda evey three hours during the day least once at night ( even at night don't go more than about 4 hours). Are you doing breast massage and compressions? And how long do you pump each session? Do you get more than one letdown? What settings do you have your pump at?
It's a tough one, just like nursing pumping is different for each person. I respond best to the pump with both cycle and suction set at 2/3 of the maximum, for others 1/2 way is better.
I struggle to get a let down with the pump, it usually takes about 10 minutes of pumping before I get a let down.. When my baby nurses it is just seconds. I get roughly just over an ounce from one breast per let down. To get 3-4 ounces from one breast I need to pump for at least 30 minutes and stimulate 3 or 4 let downs. The let downs occur easier if I pump both breast at once.
There are lots of variables, it may take some time to figure out what works best for you. However, even if you end up giving baby some formula too giving your baby some of your milk everyday will be very beneficial. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
Helpful - 0
OK, so I have done the fenugreek capsules, mother's milk tea, drank a full glass of water during each pump, and eaten oatmeal everyday for almost two weeks and now I'm not even getting enough to fill a bottle (maybe 3 oz of I'm lucky). I have heard of ladies drinking beer or non alcoholic beer due to the yeast. Is this possible? I have looked everywhere in my town and can't fond Brewer's yeast ... plus I am pretty prone to infections in the first place. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Helpful - 0
Health food stores for the yeast. It can cause yeast infectiOns if yOu are prone. The idea of the non alcoholic beer is a good alternative to the brewers yeast tablets
Helpful - 0
Thanks so much ladies! I am not sure where to get the brewers yeast. I'm assuming in a common grocery store? Oh and does taking the yeast make you more prone to yeast infections and/or thrush?
Helpful - 0
Nonalcoholic beer.
Helpful - 0
Fenugreek, fennel, blessed thistle all help with supply as does brewers yeast. Oatmeal is a great idea too.
Drink plenty and pump a few more times a day. Several extra 5 minute pumps will stimulate your breast more. Also try breast compressions and hand expression.
Good luck
Helpful - 0
Eating oatmeal works, some people use mothers milk tea and herbs(can't remember the name) and everytime you pump drink a glass of water that helps too.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community