nipple guard

hi Mom's to be, does anyone know what is a nipple guard and how it is used?how early it can be used and is it really safe for babies, no judgement please I just didn't have a good experience the first time around and I am a bit apprehensive, nervous and scared please helps anyone.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Its called a nipple shield, and can be used tight away. I used one with my first pregnancy. Its basically like a little suction cup that goes over your nipple to help baby get the milk. They can be a little tricky when you first use it but it really helped me breast feed my daughter. A lot if women who don't have erect nipples find them extremely helpful when the want to breastfeed rather than bottle feed. Hope this helps :)
Helpful - 0
Right*
Helpful - 0
Well my nipples are errect but I didn't have a good experience with my first so I'm a bit apprehensive and scared, is it okay to still?
Helpful - 0
I would try without the shield first. Buy one in case you need it. You still can use it with errect nipples as it will assist baby with better latching. Its just not recommended for long term use.  The reason i say try without first is because baby may do fine without it and its harder to wean baby off of the nipple shield verses do it naturally from day 1. If you find baby isnt latching well, then go for it. Good luck! :)
Helpful - 0
Oh and it can be used as soon as baby is born if you decide to use it after trying naturally. Dont be too apprehensive though, its worth trying without first. My 2nd did a lot better latching than my first. Take care
Helpful - 0
I needed to use these to help my daughter latch. Used them about 2 weeks and she was golden. I wish I knew about these with my son. I pumped for him since he never latched.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breastfeeding Community