Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Nasal polyps or something else..

Hi guys.. I seriously need some help.. I'm a 22 year old female and for the past ten years I have been experiencing sinus problems. I find that i always have a runny nose together with pressure in my upper head area, my ears feel constantly blocked and itchy, i have regular headaches, the top of my cheek area near my eyes is painful when pressed, I have almost no sense of smell and I cannot breathe from my nose which means I have loud breathing and I snore at night, though it does not sound like regular snoring, this 'snoring' wakes me up a number of times at night resulting with disrupted sleep so I can't really remember the last time I had a good night's sleep. In my early teens I visited the GP a number of times and was consequently referred to ENT where I was faced with a different consultant each time, each with a differing point of view. One consultant recommended surgery to remove polyps, another could see no need for this.. In the end I didn't actually get any sort of outcome and I completely lost hope in terms of resolving this problem.

Ten years on I feel like I can't take this anymore and I am due to see an ENT specialist in two weeks. Over the years I have tried a number of nasal sprays and saline solutions which have been of little help. What I would like to know is whether there is any other sinus problem which could be causing my symptoms? The ENT specialists I usually get referred to tend to check for polyps and if they don't seem large enough at the time, they send me packing. I don't want to be faced with a dead end. Is there anything else I could direct the doctor to look in to.

Thanks for taking your time to read this..
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life