Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Trigeminal neuralgia appeared after nasal surgery

Hi there. I have a relative who underwent nasal surgery 5-6 weeks ago to remove huge nasal polyps. She has been in pain ever since. She got an infection and she was only told of the precautions to take to avoid an infection (such as not being around curry and smoke) AFTER she returned to the Doctor and he then informed her that she has an infection.

That isn't the worse part. She has since developed trigeminal neuralgia and has severe pain. From what I read, this is a chronic condition but I've read nothing that says nasal surgery to remove polyps were connected to TN, which has me wondering whether the surgeon screwed up. She was not informed prior to the surgery that TN is a possible complication.

What can she do to cure/treat this pain so that she does not have to be in such severe pain? Is this normal after nasal surgery?

Does she have a case to sue the surgeon/doctor? Because she was not informed in any way that this would be a possible complication and her standard of living is now reduced because she is incapacitated by pain. She is a trooper and will return to work shortly but still.. this is just a really tough situation that she did not expect after surgery.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life