A
Close
11528825 tn?1419045824

Heart

when do know when my metal heart valve is failing our is having issues
3 Responses
612551 tn?1450022175
COMMUNITY LEADER
I think the usual symptoms: shortness of breath, dizziness, high heart rate are all possible signs.

Anyone with a mechanical valve should be prepared with the idea of a needed replacement in about 10 years, that's what I recall as the life expectancy of a mechanical valve.  New ones may be better, my data/experience is from 7 years ago when I had a mitral valve repaired, a replacement was not necessary for me.

Anyone with a mechanical heart valve, or a repaired one for that matter, should be checked by a cardiologist at least once a year, maybe more often after the valve is 5 years or more old.
11548417 tn?1506080564
Tissue valves have a limited lifespan (10-20 years), but mechanical ones are not prone to structural deterioration. So the chance that your mechanic heart valve fails during your life is minimal.
11548417 tn?1506080564
Younger people, with longer life expectancy, normally get a mechanical valve as older people often get the (pig) tissue valve. Disadvantages of the mechanical valve are that you have to take anticoagulation medicine for the rest of your life and also that you can sometimes hear the clicking sound that the valve makes.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Heart Health Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.