House fire! Smoke inhalation! HELP!

CONGRATS to all y'all moms-to-be!  I am 9 weeks, 2 days pregnant with my first, and couldn't be more thrilled.  I do have a serious question:  my home caught fire over the weekend, and I wanted to see if anyone knew about potential smoke inhalation effects on a fetus....I've searched and searched, and found one article about it, but I'm not satisfied with the amount of information given.  I was asleep when the fire started, and the smell woke me up before it got too horrible, thank God!  I am worried, but because I didn't cough, or have any symptoms of smoke inhalation, not worried enough to run to the doc just yet.  Any information would be much appreciated!  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My office building burned down,  and we all had to work days to clean it up and move the salvageable stuff,  etc.,  except one co worker who was pregnant.  Her doctor told her not to go back in the burnt building because she would be breathing toxic air.

I don't think in your case, if you got out of there quickly,  there is any harm done.  Does it still smell smoky?
Helpful - 0
Thanks so much...it does smell terribly smoky, but I haven't gone back in since it happened.  (My poor husband did all the moving so I wouldn't have to go back inside!)  Thanks again for your advice!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.