Moler Pregnancy???

Hi,my name is Sara im 23... on the 12th of august 2009 i had my 12 wk scan and my baby no longer had a heartbeat. i had to go to hospital straight away for a d n c proceedure, which resulted in me loosing 1 litre of blood during the proeedure, from tht they figured out my pregnancy ws not normal it was a partial moler pregnancy!!!
I was totally baffled as i have never heard of it. its definatly been one of the most difficult things i have ever been through. I have been having weekly bloods done at the hospital since. Now it is 25th November today i rang hospital expecting the good news of it being 0 but unfortunatly my levels have gone from 2-3. I am terrified of whats about to happen next......will i have to terminate??????will i be able to carry and be monitored?????

if anybody has been through the same thing id love to talk and understand whats going to hapen.

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Levels going from 2 -3 could just be an exceptable error as they are so close. Having another test will let you know if it is another pregnancy or just a glitch. I don't think molar pregnancies are things that happen repeately so as long as you blood levels are good enough I don't see any problem with you carrying another baby so soon. Good Luck
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your comment.
fingers are crossed that its just a glitch. I hear from the Dr tommorow, so abit  nervous but i'll just take it one step at a time :)

Helpful - 0
Good To hear keep us posted onm how you go.
Helpful - 0
will do thankyou for your suport :):)

could there be a good chance if i am pregnant that my chances of getting moler pregnancy again are low???
Helpful - 0
As far as I know the chances are the same with every pregnancy you were just unlucky with the last. Also not to worry you but I think a molar pregnancy should be picked up on u/s or even suspected. Is there a chance the doc did something wrong in the d n c and is covering is butt? Just an I dea but hey I am a suspecious person. Good Luck I have heard that with hcg as low as 5 you can ovulate again so keep your fingers crossed.
Helpful - 0
hi there, i talked to the dr this morning he said there is room for error and to go back monday for my normal bloods and see what comes from tht?????

im still quite concerned as they were going down rapidly so hopefully its just an error like he said or better yet hoping im pregnant :)
Helpful - 0
If your original pregnancy was molar, you should refrain from trying to get pregnant for a year.  Please talk to your doctor about that issue, maybe they have not told you this because they are unsure it was really partial molar.  There is a cancer-like condition that a woman can get if she gets pregnant too soon after a full molar pregnancy, I do not know if this is also true of partial molar.  You really need to know this information (whether it was partial molar, and how long to wait) from your doctor, not from a website.

The difference between an hCG count of 2 and an hCG count of 3 can just be the time of day of the test, so don't take it as a positive on a pregnancy test without further testing.
Helpful - 0
I found this that may be helpful. A partilmolar is less serious than a full molar and 6 months is the recommendation not to get pregnant for. Good Luck

Long term implications

It is important to monitor a molar pregnancy for around six months after diagnosis, depending on your particular circumstances. This is because even very small quantities of a molar pregnancy can grow and spread quickly, and this can sometimes happen several months after treatment. If your hCG level begins to rise or stays high, your treatment centre will either inform you or your gynaecologist, who will then contact you.

An invasive mole can sometimes develop after the D&C operation to remove the molar pregnancy. An invasive molar pregnancy means that the molar tissue has grown into the muscle layer of the uterus. The most common symptom of an invasive mole is irregular or continued bleeding after the operation. Invasive moles can cause problems because once the mole has grown into the muscle layer of the uterus, it can travel via the blood to distant organs, including the lungs, liver and brain.

An invasive molar pregnancy can develop after a partial molar pregnancy, but it's more likely to develop after a complete molar pregnancy.

Occasionally, abnormal cells do remain after the tissue is removed. This is called persistent gestational trophoblastic disease. It happens in less than 15 per cent of women with complete moles, and in less than one per cent of women with partial moles. If it happens to you, you'll need ************** (chemotherapy) at one of the UK's specialist centres and you may have further testing, to be sure that the disease hasn't spread beyond your uterus. Your treatment will continue until your hCG levels have returned to normal.

With prompt and appropriate treatment, nearly 100 per cent of cases of this disease are curable when it hasn't spread beyond the uterus. Even in very rare cases in which the abnormal cells have spread to other organs, nearly all cases can be cured. After you're in complete remission, you'll need to have your hCG levels monitored intermittently for the rest of your life.

In a very small number of cases a complete molar pregnancy can lead to choriocarcinoma, an extremely rare but curable form of cancer where the placenta becomes malignant. This condition occurs in 1 in 30,000 pregnancies. It can arise from a molar pregnancy, or an otherwise normal pregnancy or miscarriage.

When can I try to get pregnant again?

If you haven't had chemotherapy, you'll need to wait up to six months after your hCG levels go back down to zero before trying to get pregnant again.

If you have had chemotherapy, you are usually recommended to wait 12 months before you for another pregnancy. If you got pregnant before these times, your hCG levels would rise and it would be impossible for your doctor to tell whether abnormal tissue was growing back.

Your odds of having another molar pregnancy are around 1 to 2 per cent. You'll have a first trimester ultrasound in any subsequent pregnancies to make sure all is well. The good news is that in the vast majority of cases having a molar pregnancy doesn't affect your ability to have a normal pregnancy, even if you've had chemotherapy. You're not at any increased risk for stillbirth, birth defects, premature labour, or other complications.

Read more: http://www.babycenter.com.au/pregnancy/complications/molar/#ixzz0XvRldiOV
Helpful - 0
Thankyou for your concern. But i am very well aware of my situation. I am jus waiting for monday to have next blood test which will show if it ws an error or not. i am aware of not to get pregnant and have been extremly careful. MY dr has recommended 6 months to 1 year!
Helpful - 0
Thankyou that information was very very helpful thankyou. I will go and check out that website. The good thing is tht i didnt need chemo and everything has been going to normal since. iv had 3 regular periods since so im guessing tht thre is a small chance im pregnant.
Helpful - 0
Well in that case I think if you are pregnant then it will be up to you your hubby and your doctor to decide what is in your best interests. If everything looks good I would hope the doctor would closly monitor you through your pregnancy and not just automatically reccommend a termination. Good Luck I hope it all goes well.
Helpful - 0
I thought it was a minimum of a year to wait to try and get pregnant again. I do wish you the best as I don't think I would be able to handle that. You're a strong woman! Keep you in my prayers! In the ultrasound did they see something that looked like a snow storm? Lol that's what I thought it was supposed to look like, but wasn't sure if that's what it looked like for real.
Helpful - 0
yes it all depends on what the dr recommends for your best interests. if all goes well with no complications they may recommend 6 months or they could recommend wait till upto a year.
but yes some cases will show up looking like a snowstorm in my case they didnt pick it up till i ws 12 weeks wen they relised the baby no longer had a heartbeat and had also stopped growing. i then had a missed miscarrige so next proceedure was a ERPOC. i loost 1 litre of blood its from tht that they figurered out i had a partial moler pregnancy. its so difficult to get ya head around lol i had never herd of it before. my levels have been going down since it happnd in august but they have now jumpd from 1-2 but there is room for marginal error. im abit scared hoping im not pregnant as its so soon.
Helpful - 0
For what it is worth, my hospital counts anything below 5 as being a "no" on a pregnancy test, and my fertility clinic (a more specialized place) counts anything from 3 down as a no.  So maybe your numbers could be read to mean not pregnant whether or not they differ by one in an upward direction.  Hope you get the answer you want on Monday.
Helpful - 0
Yeah thats basically what my DR has told me so hopefulli it will be a Zero on Monday .

Fingers crossed!!!!
Helpful - 0
hi well last weeks results come back and they havent moved up or down :( so dr's are now a lil concerned i went in for another blood test today get the results tommorrw and i have a appointment friday at the hospital for further tests so very nervous they arent telling me much which is a total pain in the bum!!!!!
Helpful - 0
I am sorry you have to go through this. Is there any hint of what might be going on?
Helpful - 0
no i have no idea i will hopefulli have more info on friday for you...im still waiting for my results today but il let you know as soon as i know

xx
Helpful - 0
Hiya

good news im now below 1, it was just an error obviously.
im so relived so one more test next week then i go onto monthly checkups.

i have a proper checkup tommrow

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.