Some Direction Please, Lost at Sea - Pre Pregnancy

Ok, so I'm not really lost at sea, but I am lost just the same. My wife and I recently moved to a new city to help
out a local church, so we have no jobs at the moment (thus no insurance). She has missed her period by about 10 days, is experiencing tender/swollen breasts, fatigue, more frequent urination and all three of the pregnancy tests taken have basically been the two lines going up, which apparently means that "most likely" she is pregnant, but "possibly" error (go equate).
My mis-direction is where CAN I go from here? Where DO I go from here? We have no insurance as I've mentioned, we are in a new city with no local doctor even if we did, have minimal funds and are presently jobless. I've heard of people going to hospitals and working out some sort of payment plan or something of that nature; however, aren't you supposed to have an individual doctor and a hospital? I've heard about Medicaid, is that a possibility? Any direction would be nice. I'd like to find a way to firstly (and today), ensure we are pregnant and then secondly, do whatever it takes to ensure a healthy pregnancy.
I've been scanning the internet all day/night trying to find solutions and nothing fantastic has presented itself so I thought I may try this blog.
Thanks,
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
She can go to Planned Parenthood to get blood test to confirm her pregnancy. She can probably get some info on free clinics.

Good luck
Helpful - 0
If you are both jobless, you qualify for Medicaid/Medical. What state are you from?
Helpful - 0
Planned Parenthood or your local Health Dept is where you want to go first.  (I know $$ is an issue, but you can buy digital tests that say Pregnant or Not Pregnant--no way to dispute those).

PP can give her info on low cost clinics, or she can simply start with your local Health Dept.  Many women can get excellent prenatal care through the HD, and they will help her apply for Medicaid, also.  They will also hook her up with WIC, that will help with some food and formula costs.

Helpful - 0
I just moved to Texas. Thanks for the response from all so far. Sounds like Medicaid would be the way to go. After I get that from the HD (assuming I can) do they just direct
me to a doctor or hospital?
Helpful - 0
They will likely give you options of medicaid health plans and then a list of doctors who participate in said programs. Most important right now is a good prenatal vitamin and an additional folic acid supplement that is at least 800mcgs. Both of those can be purchased at Wal-Mart for under $10 combined. That ten dollars can make the difference between a healthy baby and a baby with serious neurological issues.
Helpful - 0
You could also try to get a job to support the baby.  Not to be mean, but I just dont get that.  I would like to not work also and volunteer, but my husband and I have to take care of our child,
and not depend on everyone else who works to do it for us.  Its fine if you want to volunteer, but dont depend on everyone else to work to allow you to do it.
There is not one mention of what you are doing to try to get a job.
Helpful - 0
I did not have a job, and I have a beautiful baby girl.  I worked my @ss off and contributed money to our government...they helped me in having my baby who will someday work her @ss off to pay thousands upon thousands of dollars to our government.  You want to give me a lecture now???
Helpful - 0
There was no mention of what he was doing to try to get a job because it didnt really pertain to the question.  It isnt necessary to give your entire history to ask a question.  Sometimes it can take a long time to find a job.  I think maybe you could have asked what he was doing to get a job and once he said he never planned to get one then the lecture.  I think it was a bit premature.
Helpful - 0
I am sorry.  I should never have written that.  I was taking a personal situation that I am dealing with and putting my frustration with it on someone else.  I feel badly to have written it.

Baby Hardiman - I am sorry to have offended you.  I read all of your posts and enjoy reading what you write.  I rarely respond unless someone asks a question about heart problems or ear infections in babies, otherwise I just read because I feel like I know the people on here without even talking to or ever meeting them.

I'm sorry, I just had a personal "emotional" moment and took my frustration in wrong direction.
Helpful - 0
That is perfectly understandable.  I have done the same thing in the past.  We are, after all, only human.  :)  I guess I took offense because it was a difficult decision for me to apply for Medicaid but I had absolutely no choice.    The baby's father supported me financially, he provided a roof over my head, and food in my stomach, but no matter what direction we turned we could not afford what health insurance would have costed us.  I did have a job, but it was working for the father of my baby, I helped him with his admin work.  

I am sorry I made you feel bad.  :(
Helpful - 0
Thank you all for your responses. I understand where Kerryke could emphasize her feelings on the matter.
To address them openly, I have been searching for a job since late September 2007. I was a fulltime Realtor from 11/06-04/08, when the market went down and lost most of my money. Not only did I move to Houston to volunteer at this church, but I came in hopes of finding a job since it is such a large market; however, I have now been here 2 months, and have not had any luck finding a job. I put atleast 10-23 applications in, every day, seven days a week. I've even started knocking door to door, and have gotten terrible results.
I would love nothing more than to be able to pay cash for my child, and not have to worry about medicaid or even insurance for that matter, its just not possible. I've never been helped out by the government before, this would be a first, which is why I have been asking questions about it...because I do not know the first thing about being helped, just giving it.
Anyway, we are headed to a health center this morning to confirm the pregnancy and seek family planning.
I am in hope that I will get a great job within a month atleast that will give me insurance, or enough money to strike up a payment plan with the hospital myself.

Thanks all, please continue to post of any ideas/information you have!

Matt
Helpful - 0
Also, to BabyHardiman, thank you for sharing your experience with me! Thank you all!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.