Spotting/Bleeding after Miscarriage

I finished my miscarriage sometime at the beginning of this month (Feb. 2008).  To give a little history about it, I was 10 weeks along when I went in for my first appointment.  Because we have been trying so long and charting, I know I conceived Thanksgiving Day, and I had a positive HPT  early.  Apparently, at around 5 weeks gestation, something went wrong, b/c the baby died/stopped developing at that time, but I had no idea.  We discovered this via ultrasound the day of my appt.  (Jan. 17th)  The night before, I started spotting, but when told, the doctor wasn't concerned- until he did the u/s.  He really thought I was only 5 weeks along until I kept insisiting I was 10 weeks and told him I had a + blood test Dec. 3rd.  Needless to say, before the u/s was even over I was an emotional wreck.  Anyway, so they did an hcg count and another one 2 days later.  It rapidly declined (14,000- 8,000).  They gave me Cytotec to help along the miscarriage.  It was long and drawn out.  My numbers a couple or few weeks later were finally down to almost nothing.  It was around the 4th or 6th when I finally stopped bleeding.  At my last appt., after hearing that my bleeding had stopped, he was confident that there was no tissue left and felt no need to do an u/s to verify.  He told me to expect my period about a month later.  Two weeks later, I started getting a small spot of pinkish blood occasionally when I wiped.  Over the last week, it has been getting progressively darker red and more of it.  It is borderline spotting to light period in flow.  It is always there when I wipe now.  My Q is-  Is this considered a period or not?  Is this normal?  What could be causing me to start spotting about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks after the miscarriage officially ended, other than that the miscarriage is not complete?  (I don't think this is the case)  Should I see my doctor, or wait it out a little more?  Thanks for any advice or answers.  I'm feeling really frustrated.  I just want all this to end so I can move on!    
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Update:  

I believe March 10th was my first period.  I had spotting before and after, so not sure if it was considered one or not, but it was the closest thing to one since the miscarriage.  Easter (March 23rd) I stopped spotting.  April 20th, I finally got my period again.  The first two days were so heavy I was pretty worried, but then discovered that a lot of women experience this with their second periods after miscarriage.  Now it's still there, but really light.  Hoping that I don't spot again after.  I want my body to go back to normal already!  Emotionally, I've healed so much recently.  I've finally completely come to terms with it.  Not that long ago, I went to a WIC appt. and was around nothing but pregnant women and young infants for two hours.  I had a huge panic attack.  It was more than I could bear.  But recently, I've found my faith again, and been closer to God than ever before.  This sense of peace has just overtaken me.  I no longer feel like getting pregnant again is the only way I'll get over that need I felt, that want, to be pregnant and have another child.  I could go on and on, but I'll just say that despite all I've been through so far this year, I feel stronger and happier than ever.  

I just discovered this song through Itunes called "Glory Baby" by Watermark.  I strongly suggest everyone that has been through a miscarriage or knows someone who has, should buy this song or listen to it.  It really helped me.  

Hope all of you recover and heal soon.  Thanks for sharing your experiences with me, as well as your support and for taking the time to read my story.  God bless.      
Helpful - 0
Provera is a Rx that triggers your body to get a period. They have not put me on that...yet. I just had a d & c just this past Friday. They removed a 2 inch blood clot. So I am hoping that was the problem. I would call your OB again to tell him/her that you are continuing to bleed. This is a very frustrating time. And since nothing is ever "text book" it is hard to figure out what is what sometimes.
I wish you the best of luck carson01.
Helpful - 0
I understand were you all are coming from and hoping to get some answers as well. My doctors don't seem to know why I am still bleeding.

I miscarried at 9.5 weeks on 1/23/08. I would not stop bleeding and finally after 2 D&C's my HCG level went down to "2" on 3/3/08 (6 weeks after miscarriage).  I continued to bleed once my HCG was down to "0" and a ultra sound showed a clear uterus. My OB put me on the pill which did nothing because I continued to bleed. I stopped the pill after 2 weeks since it was not working. I then had a very heavy period which stopped last Wednesday, well I shouldn't say that because I still had light brown spotting until this morning when I woke up to cramping and red bleeding again. I am confused and don't know what to do. It has been 12 weeks of non stop bleeding whether it be red, brown or maroon in color. I am starting to think there is something really wrong with me.

What would provera do to help after your numbers go down to "0"?
Helpful - 0
Very good question. I am in a similar boat as you. I miscarried at 19.5 weeks...that was 1/23/08. I am still bleeding 11 weeks later. I totally agree with you that it is an extremely frustrating process. My doctor is monitoring my hcg level. They said I could not take Provera until my numbers are below 5. My bleeding has been I guess what can be said as "light". It goes from red to brown to nothing to red back to brown. My question is when will I stop, and when will my cycle return to we can ttc again?
Helpful - 0
I am in the same situation as you, I started to miscarry on January 10 (12w4d) and I continued to bleed for about 4 weeks. So it is coming up on about a month that I have stopped all symptoms of my miscarriage and am having light spotting when I wipe and slight cramps. Sorry I couldn't answer your question but at least we know that we are not alone in this.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.