bicornuate uterus

I found out when i was 14 that i had a bicornuate uterus and i was wondering if i could get some answers or advice about it I rember the doctor explaing to me that i have a heart shaped uterus that has a open at the top and connects at the bottom can anyone relate to this?? I am now 20 and my husband and I are trying to conceive they told me it would be hard but who knew this hard. they put me on birth control to regulate hormones i have been on many different kinds couldnt even begin to tell you all of them. before they put on birth control i had a very regular period and now that i have been off it for about a year and half i have sort off a odd period i will have 3 months of on time periods and then no period and then 3 months of periods then no period and so on. can i even get pregnant? plz help and if anyone has any tips I would appreciate it.
thank you
Kelsi
Well, as someone who has a bicornuate uterus, one of the things you will find is that not many doctors know much about them, and so you will get the doctor version of old wives' tales from some of them.  If you are having fertility issues, please talk to a fertility specialist, not just an ob-gyn, and don't be surprised if even a fertility specialist is a bit clueless about heart-shaped uteruses.  The first doctor who ever mentioned to me that I had one made it a point to mention that it would not impede my getting pregnant, and he was right.  If you get a doc who thinks it will, you might look for another doc.  

There is some research (not done on large or randomized population samples so a bit questionable) that suggests a person with a bicornuate uterus will be at higher risk for pre-term birth or for miscarriage if the baby tries to implant on the septum.  Unfortunately, when research begins by identifying people with a certain problem and then asking them if they have a bicornuate uterus, it is not as good as if they took a bunch of women and tested them all to see if their uterus was an unusual shape, and then followed the whole group to see who had the problem.  But at least there is that small bit of research; if a doctor mentions it at least he has heard of the research.  

That said, I have never read anything published medically that suggests a uterus being bicornuate is a problem for conception.  Your issue might be something that is independent of the shape of your uterus.  For that kind of analysis, see a fertility doc.  And don't neglect to have your husband's sperm count tested as well.

Good luck.
They wouldn't have put you on birth control because of a bicornuate uterus.  It doesn't make your periods irregular, the regulation of the period has to do with the brain and the ovaries, not the uterus itself.  Do you know why you went onto birth control "to regulate hormones" if you actually had a very regular period?
yes to regulate hormones like i said idk i was 13 and me or parents dont rember much i just told everything i could remember sorry i was just wondering
well thank for the help ik what you about docs i rember going to a lot of them b4 one doc finally did a ultrasound and thats how i found out but thank you i will look into going to one

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community