low amniotic fluid at 31w....

so this pregnancy has been rough for me... i am already dilated to 1 and fully effaced at just 31 weeks... and now i go in for an ultrasound and my ob says my amniotic fluid level is 6.8 which i guess is low .. i dunno he didn't really explain the number to me.. he set me up to get steriod shots and i am on strict bedrest and i am too drink tons of water... i now have to go in twice every week to monitor the levels and my ob said if my level gets any lower he will take me by c section ... im only 31weeks ... he didn't explain anything to me really just that there was cause for concern  ...   im so confused right now b/c nothing was explained to me... can my amniotic fluid get replenished somehow? im totally clueless..
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Wow ang...Sorry you are going thought this.....I think the more water you drink some how it does help with the fluid levels, SO DRINK DRINK!! And stay in Bed!!
Helpful - 0
You need to call the clinic and ask them to explain what is going on and what you need to be aware of .
Helpful - 0
I agree...Call your Ob office and talk to someone so you know whats going on...Maybe make a list of questions, so you are ready.
Helpful - 0
Yes, maintaining some form of bedrest and increasing your own hydration can, in some cases, increase your amniotic fluid levels.

The danger with low amniotic fluid levels is that the umbilical cord has less water cushioning to protect the baby against the cord becoming pinched off.  Also, sometimes amniotic fluid levels will be low if the baby is experiencing some intrauterine fetal stress or other problem.

Your doctor seems to be treating you appropriately.  
Helpful - 0
im on hold with the nurse right now... a part of me just wants this pregnancy to be over and done with and to have my daughter here safe with me but the other part the more practical part says no ang the baby hasn't had enough time in your belly yet...  the last couple of months have been soo rough for me and my family and i can't help but think is this my fault? did i do something to cause this?  im drinking tons of water and trying to rest .. unfortunatly i have my daughter today so i have to move around but after today im gonna try to make some arrangements for people to watch her
Helpful - 0
Ang. Do whatever you can to take it easy. I dealt with this at 33 weeks with sarah and bedrest and drinking water did help my AFI levels to go up. I was also monitored 2x a week to check on things and I made it to 38 weeks (then had to have a c-section due to high BP) Hang in there and take it easy!
Helpful - 0
This is your fault.   Try to remember that.
Helpful - 0
i think she meant NOT your fault...?
Helpful - 0
starting at 32 or 33 weeks I had to visit my doctor everyother day (high BP) and he told me to be prepaired everyday that he would do a c-section if he felt I was in too much risk....  he said he'd rather have the baby here in in ICU then me have a stroke....  so I know the fear you are feeling-  I too made it to 37 weeks before he did the c-section-  but it was a lot going in everyother day for monitoring...  hang in there...   like the others said,  this is not your fault,  and your doctor is making sure you and baby stay safe...  
Helpful - 0
OMG!  I am so sorry.  I definately meant to say this is NOT your fault.    
(I'm such an idiot)
Helpful - 0
I just jumped on and had no idea you are going through all of this! I am sorry. This is not your fault in any way. I thought the same thing and still do with everything that's going on with my son. But nothing I did could have caused any of it. PLEASE remember that. I know it's hard. I was the same way. starting at 27 weeks I started to dilate and was almost 100% effaced but I made it to 36 weeks by staying on bedrest, taking pills to stop contractions and the steroid shots and even stopping labor one time. I remained at 4cm dilated for 3 1/2 weeks. If you stay off of your feet and can find people to watch Aubrey, you may make it full term! Try to stay positive and strong for your little girl! Hang in there, I hope it all works out!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.