subchorionic hematoma

I had a positive pregnancy test on 1-18-04, the last time i had intercourse before that was 1-7-04. i saw my ob/gyn on 1-23-04 and a blood test done, hcg level 64. Started spotting (brown discharge) on 1-25-04. I had another blood test on 1-26-04, hcg level 87. I was told then by my doctor that Iwould most likely miscarry but he wanted to check the hcg levl again, so on 1-29-04 hcg was 250 and on 02-04-04 it was 2400. i had an u/s on 02-05-04 and was told I was 5 weeks pregnant but there was no heartbeat.They did see a small subchorionic hematoma that explains the spotting. According to my calculation I was 6 weeks pregnant at my u/s and I'm 100% sure I have my dates right. I had a miscarriage last year at 7 weeks that started with spotting. I'm having another u/s on 2-12-04. I can't find much info on subchorionic hematoma, could that cause me to miscarry again and is it normal that my hcg levels did not double in the beginning and also is it normal that the u/s measured me at 5 weeks when I am sure that i am 6 weeks and that there was no heartbeat.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
kck
5-6 weeks is still early to see a heartbeat.  I had a subchorionic hematoma and I did miscarry, but the doctor said that is not the reason.  From my research, I learned that a subchorionic hematoma is sometimes linked to miscarriage, but many people with it carry on to have a healthy pregnancy, especially if you eventually bleed it out.  You may go in for another ultrasound and not see it anymore.  Also, ultrasound dates can be off a little.  Since your hcg levels are rising, it sounds to me like this pregnancy still has a good chance.  Don't give up yet.
Helpful - 0
I do not want to worry you and I do apologize if I seem so negative when I post but I do feel that as hard as it is to hear people need to know the negative side of things as well so they do not get their hopes up to high to watch them fall.   I had an ultrasound at 5w4d & they were already able to detect a heartbeat.  On a brighter note I did read somewhere that at 6wks vaginal u/s only picked up about 86% of fetal poles so I wouldn't worry just yet especially if your levels are rising.  Good Luck and keep us posted.
Helpful - 0
hello, new to this board- actually just passing through and just happen to see this post. I have had a healthy pregnancy with a subchorionic hemmorhage. I spotted from week 5-8, they were able to see a heartbeat at 6 weeks 3 days, HOWEVER this only after taking a 81 mg baby aspirin!! If I were you I would ask your doctor to check your ANA, APA to see if you have clotting issues. if you do have these then begin the baby aspirin IMMEDIATELY! You see, I had two early miscarriages before that pregnancy at 6 weeks (no HB detected) then when my OB/GYN was doing an infertility work-up she found I had a +ANA and +APA. Well, during the testing we found out we were pregnant and so we got in as soon as we found out and she saw the subchorionic hemmorhage. She immediately put me on a baby aspirin. It is called Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome.

Well, I delivered a healthy baby boy and got pregnant again two more times and had two more miscarriages (early at 6-7 weeks) I had full immune testing (Dr Alan Beer in California) and found I am + Natural Killer cells in my uterus (your body's strongest white blood cell that kill Cancer cells) basically my body was attacking each pregnancy. My son is a miracle. I am now 11 weeks pregnant with baby #2 after taking Baby aspirin, Folgard ( I have a blood clotting gene MTHFR) and lovenox, and IVIG- Intravenous Immunoglobulin. the IVIG calms my immune system so that it doesn't attack the pregnancy. Anyway, please email if you need anything. ***@****

Cyndi
Helpful - 0
I too was diagnosed with a small subchorionic hemorrhage at 6 wks with an u/s.. Unfortunetly at 9wks, I miscarried. I have been doing research on this from resources found on the internet.. Im confused because some say it does cause miscarraiges and others seem to think not.. Not sure what to believe..
Helpful - 0
When I was about 11 weeks pregnant I awoke to alot of bright red bleeding I was told that it was a subchorionic hemorrhage but baby was fine. A week later I had a scan and it had not healed yet. Here I am 2 weeks post initial bleed and I awoke at 3am to a large amount of dark brown discharge when I used the bathroom having done some reading, some say that it is the hemorrhage "healing" but other readings say it could be a miscarriage. I am a little confused and unsure if I should be concerned. Can anyone offer some words of wisdom on this or share a similar situation and their outcome?
Helpful - 0
I was diagnosed with a subchorionic hematoma, only slight brownish discharge a few times. I am 8 weeks pregnant 4 days, and I have had 3 early miscarriage in the past. I am so nervous and I just want everything to be normal.

Any help would be appreciated.
Helpful - 0
I was diagnosed with SCH at 6 weeks of pregnancy.  I bleed off and on. More on than off. Sometimes I would just gush, and soak pads within an hour. Everytime I went to the Dr. the baby was fine, but the hematoma was still there and after all that bleeding it was still huge. Baby was growing and heartbeat was great. At 11.5 weeks saw the baby move its limbs on Weds, went back the next day and heard the babies heartbeat through doppler.  The hematoma was still there, but baby seemed fine. Woke up at 2 am Friday morning with severe cramping and begin to pass numerous blood clots. I was hoping I was finally getting rid of the hematoma. The pain kept intensifing and by 7 pm I lost my baby. I have been reading about it all day today, which is Sunday, two days later. I have heard a mixture of of miracles and nightmares. I would  demand that your dr. evaluate you for any blood clotting disorders. I wish I would have. Best of Luck to all of you females that have to go through with this.
Helpful - 0
I was diagnosed with SCH at 14 weeks when I started to bleed while at a business conference. I was mortified and convinced I was losing my baby. The ER folks were incompetent and insensitive as usual and I was left waiting for 2 hours before the performed an ultrasound and I saw the reassuring heartbeat. I was put on complete bedrest by my OB. I considered seeing a specialist put I decided to wait to see if the bleeding stopped in a few weeks. I bled for about 3 weeks with the bleeding slowly tapering off after the first 10 days. I am now 38W1D and looking forward to a c-section next week(baby is transverse)!! None of the gloom and doom predictions came true. I did not miscarry and I did not deliver pre-term. I had strong faith and strong family support throughout this time which I know had an impact on outcome. The doctors tend to be very cautious about giveing too much hope in these situations but you must keep positive and use your support systems to believe and trust your body. I wish you all many blessings and a successful pregnancy
Helpful - 0
I had bleeding at 5/6 weeks and was diagnosed with a SCH.  I was monitored and discharged from the early pregnancy clinic at 9 weeks.  I bleed again at 11 weeks but was told everything was okay.  The rest of the pregnancy was normal.  However at 39 weeks and 6 days I woke up with bleeding.  I went to hospital and they did a scan and said the placenta was safe.  Was sent home.  at 4 pm went into labour.  By 12 midnight I was for emergency section as the placenta had abrupted (this was obviously what was going on all day).  I do not want to worry anyone but I am thinking of trying for our second baby and when investigating into why the placenta abrupted there seems to be a link with early hematoma.  My Obstretican said that I was unlucky that it only occurs in 1% of pregnancies.  Just something to watch out for towards the end of your pregnancy.  As I say don't want to worry you but look out for anything unusual.  best of luck to you with everything.  PS it was at least six weeks by the time I saw the fetal heart
Helpful - 0
I am 15 weeks pregnant today. At the begning of my pregnancy week 5 i started spotting went to the ER and did a trans vaginal ultrasound and it was early to see any heartbeat my hcg levels were in the 700'sso they sent me home with bed rest. a week and a half a go i woke up to bleeding only when i went to the bathroom. Again went to the ER they did an internal exam and everything looked normal my hcg levels were high and my ultrasound was normal. We saw the baby kicking and waiving. That was reasurring. they sent me home and the week later i went to see my OBGYN and i tol him i was spotting the whole week and he did an ultrasond and said he found  a retro placenta clot which is another name for subchronic hemorage. He scheduled me another ultrasound and for the past 5 days since my appt with him i continue to spott (brownish) He did say that the clot was stable and it would most likely heal on its own.Its nerve wracking, I am experincing some braxton hicks dont know if it has anything to do with the clot healing. Will keep u all posted.
Helpful - 0
I am 14 1/2 weeks.  i began spotting around 13 weeks of and on.  it wasn't brownish more of a red or pink.  went to the ER and the baby was fine. (bleeding stopped that day) I went for a check up 3 day later and every thing was still ok.  about a week later i stated spotting again,  i contacted my doc and they sent me to the hospital that night for a u/s.  baby was moving so much they could barley measrure it.  so that was great.  went back to the doc 3 days later to fin out i had a hematoma.  they said it would heal on its own and they will check it again when im 18 weeks. and if its still there i will be sent to a high risk doc for a more  in depth u/s.  so to day im 14 1/2 weeks and began spotting this morning.  i have noticed i start spotting in the morning when i wake up.  im having severe cramping around my navel. it comes and goes.  this is a very scary situation, knowing i had a misscarrige 3 years ago.  but im in my sec trimester so that leaves less risk of misscarrige.  and by the way i heard the heart beat at 7 weeks.  so to every one keep your head up. god only gives you what he knows you can handle!!!!
Helpful - 0
I want to Thank Ms_Mead for the words of God only gives you what he knows you can handle!!!! I am a mother of 2 wks with #3 and at 7 weeks found out I also have a SH, I was put on total bed rest. I am only to get up to pee. My girls are 3 and 8 and my Husband works 7 days 12 hours. I was in bed for 5 days and was feeling so sad from the lack of play with my girls. I have decided to be in bed as much as I can but my girls need me to play, feed and bath them. I have been taking it easy and keep telling my self this is in Gods hands and he always dose what is rite. So Ladies do keep your head up and I wish the best for you all. God bless our little growing Babies.
Helpful - 0
I was diagnosed with my hematoma at 13 wks after a scary bleed. My SCH was large and located above my cervix (neither a good situation). The clot never went away and at 28 wks I lost my baby due to complete placenta abruption. The clot had become infected and this infection is what caused the abruption and it caused me to go into septic shock after the c-section. My story is a rare one but if you are like me you'll want to get all the info you can agther...good and bad. I wish you the best.
Helpful - 0
I was told at 14 weeks I had a small SCH, 3 cm. I spotted for a day or two and than stopped. At 16 weeks I began spotting again, Ussually heavier in the morning and than lighter through out the day. I went back to the ER where they said agian, that the baby was doing great, and I just need to take it easy, gave me a list of things I was not allowed to do. I followed up with my doctor the next day, He didnt seam to be too concerned. He said the baby was doing wonderfull, and I just need to rest alot more until this thing healed. I am now 18 weeks and for the past two weeks Ive spotted almost everyday, getting lighter and lighter as time past, Until today, when I spotted heavier again in the morning. I dont know whats going on! Im very nervous. I can still feel the baby moving, so thats reassuring. But I put a call into my doctor this morning, and as of yet I havnt heard back form him. Ive heard alot about women having to go on complete bedrest, but I havnt been ordered to do that yet. If anyone has any advice that would be nice, Thanks!
Helpful - 0
I am 14 weeks today and was diagnosed with a subchorionic hemorrhage on Wed. night after a scare.  Went to the ER because I have had 2 miscarriages and I was bleeding dark red/brown blood with no cramping.  They did FHT and the baby was about 160.  That bleeding diminished and right before D/C, I had some bright red bleeding.  They did a pelvic (cervix was closed) and an U/S and the baby was fine.  FHT again about 160.  Went to my OB the next AM (cervix closed, FHT 164) after the ER and he basically said that most of the time this resolves on its own (about 80% of the time).  He also told me to abstain from sex, exercise and heavy lifting but didn't put me on bedrest.  Apparently there is nothing that can be done about them so returning to daily life is okay.  Honestly, I have been on the couch since this happened (less than 48 hrs ago) because I am not convinced of this.  He told me to expect dark brown/red discharge for a while until my body rids of the old blood.  I have been looking on the internet and can find very little on the cause, probability of miscarrying.  Even my nursing books don't touch on the subject....WHERE IS ALL OF THE INFO??  How worried do I need to be??  If I'm not bleeding anymore, am I in the clear??  
Helpful - 0
Jessfromia~ I hope you are doing well. I had a SCH with my last pregnancy. I know how fustrating the lack of info out there is. I bled a ton around 13wks and then intermittently until 18wks. Unfortunately, I lost my baby due to complete abruption at 28wks. I've read so many stories out there and the vast majority of women w/ SCH's do go on to deliver healthy babies. The odds are with you. If your clot does not reabsorb or pass, my only advise would be to be extra careful about infection (adhere to pelvic rest)...SCH are the perfect host for bacteria...I found out myself much too late. I wish you the best of luck.
Helpful - 0
I had a massive bleed at 13 weeks with my 1st pregnancy, and passed a clot measuring 15x7cm. It was massive. I was on strict bed rest in hospital for 2 weeks, during which time I bled again.  As the bleeding subsided  I was released from hospital and was on bed rest until 24 weeks, after which I was on limited movement. I had a normal pregnancy until 36 weeks when the baby stopped moving and I went into septic shock, and delivered by emergency C section my daughter. I had suffered a placental abruption which is apparently linked to early SCH.  My daughter is fine and looking forward to being a big sister but I was diagnosed with a large SCH yesterday, I am 9 wks pregnant this time, and I am expecting it all to happen again.  At least this time it won't all be such a mystery and I sort of know what to expect. I do believe that bed rest helps, or at least keep putting your feet up when you can.  good luck to all
Helpful - 0
I was diagnosed with SH about 2 weeks ago.  I am currently 8 1/2 weeks pregnant.  I am so thankful that I was given this website through a different website blog.  The information terrifies me, yet calms me.  I have no idea how big it is but at least I know to ask that when I go for my next u/s.  I have had 2 u/s already and have another on Friday.  The baby is doing fine thus far with a heart rate of 124.  I am bleeding most of the time.  No bed rest but limited lifting.  I am praying so hard that we are able to keep this baby.  Will be praying for everyone else out there challenged with this.  
Helpful - 0
I was diagnosed with a subchorionic hemorrhage on Sunday after I was kneed in the abdomen by my 2 year old daughter.  After a lot of pain and nausea, but no bleeding or spotting, I contacted my doctor who told me to go to the ER and make sure the baby was ok.  The baby is perfect, but they found a 1 inch subchorionic hematoma and told me to go my OB this week, which I did.  Based on my blood work, it was no longer a clot, but bleeding based on the fetal hbg that was in my bloodstream.  I have another u/s Friday and I pray that all is well and the S/H has begun to heal or disappear all together.  I have had 2 consecutive m/c's and am 17 wks this week.  Has anyone had a s/c and not bled like me.  I feel like I have done a million sit-ups but no cramping....just sore.  I don't know if it's from my daughter's kick or the S/C.....
This is so terrifying  but I pray for healthy babies and deliveries for you all.
Helpful - 0
God needed another Angel Baby.  The bleeding was very heavy today so off to the ER I went.  Pelvic exam showed my cervix closed but the u/s showed no fetal heartbeat.  The baby had died.  We now just wait for "nature to take its course".  

I'll be praying for all of you who are fighting this battle.  You deserve to win and have your babies!  I feel as though this S/C stole my baby from me and I would do anything to help you keep yours so you do not have to go through this.  You'll be in my prayers.  Please stay healthy and get plenty of rest!
Helpful - 0
I was disagnosed with a subchorionic hemorrhage at 12 weeks after an ER visit. I had gushed a pink tinged fluid and thought I was miscarrying. US showed the baby was doing fine. The s/c measured 8x9cm. After a week of bedrest, the s/c was down to 6cm. Yeasterday (I'm 16 weeks now) it was back up to about 9x9cm and 2cm thick. The baby is still growing and thriving. I've been on bed rest the whole time and have not bled at all since that ER visit. I've had some very minor cramping here and there. I'm still terrified of losing this baby, though. I had 2 miscarriages last year after 2 normal pregnancies and I still don't know why those happened. My heart and prayers go out to all of you who are fighting this battle with me and to all of you who have lost the fight this time...God Bless
Helpful - 0
I was diagnosed with a subchorionic hemorrhage at 7 weeks.They found a hb at 6 weeks and 3 days then they saw another sack but it was the subchorionic hemorrhage so they told me to go to the er the next week for a scan there I was diagnosed with the shh,but they found the hb at 152 and the baby looked fine.I spotted from 5 weeks to 8 weeks and it was light and sometimes it was heavy I think just once when me and future husband went to look at engagement rings i felt something gushing out I ran to the bathroom and there was red blood..OMG SCARY,that night I had some clots but other then that my baby is fine and growing. We just have to have faith and wait it out and hope everything goes well.I'm almost 9 weeks and the dr said I don't have to go back till 3 more weeks...Hope everything goes well with everyone...Kellye..
Helpful - 0
Just diagnosed with SCH. Am 9w3d. Went through a loss Dec 06 due to pelvic pain believed to be caused by unknown origins. Had a small pink spotting episode, then tremendous lower quadrant pelvis pain. Initial U/S showed a viable 7wk IUP. They treated as if I had appendicitis and performed surgury under a spinal anesthesia because they recommended that over general due to the pregnancy. Had a follow-up ultrasound day after and hCG and progesterone levels. They found a 5cm SCH. Fought with spotting off and on from 18th to 24th, when I got up midday to massive bright red bleeding. In ER, ultrasound was nonreasurring, and no heartbeat, so I had a D&C. I am now terrified because they found the same thing this time. Fiance is to be deployed in 3wks. But finding this thread makes me feel a bit better knowing maybe I'm not alone, and maybe it will be okay.
Sara
Helpful - 0
I am an OB nurse.  Also suffered with infertility x 11 years, diagnosed with cancer last year and went through chemo x 6.  I was told that I would have early menopause and no chance of biological children.  I now find myself 8 wks 2 days pregnant with my first and have a SCH.  I see a lot of women who come to my hospital and deliver healthy, full-term babies after being diagnosed with SCH, so I am reassured by that.  With my history, though, I am scared to death for this baby.  I had a huge bleed with lots of clots at about 6 1/2 wks and thought I miscarried.  My subsequent beta Hcg, though, was up, so I had a sono which showed a 7 week fetus with a HR of 146.  What a blessing!  I continue to have a lot of dark brown discharge, but no more bright red.  My follow-up sono this week showed that the clot was slightly larger but the HR was 173 and the baby had grown.  I will have US every 2 weeks to check the status of this pregnancy.  I've been told to take it easy, do pelvic rest, but no bedrest.  When I read the research on this topic, it's not as reassuring to me as the number of women that I've taken care of with this complication.  They say that the risk of miscarriage is as high as ~ 10% in these cases, and that the earlier the diagnosis, the more likely you are to miscarry.  They also say that the risks of preterm delivery, placental abruption, and fetal growth restriction are higher when there is SCH.  There is no treatment, unless you have an underlying disorder like one of our sisters mentioned above.  There are as many recommendations, I think, as there are physicians out there, but no one's advice has been shown, in the research, to make a difference in outcomes.  All that my family and I can do right now is pray, and thank God each time that I go to the bathroom and don't see bright red blood.  God gave us this miracle and I have to trust Him to see us through and keep this little one safe.  You are all in my prayers for healthy babies and for peace as we walk this very scary journey together.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.