How is your vision after Cataract Surgery?

Please specify whether you got a monofocal or multifocal/accommodative IOL.

I would like to know what distances you are able to see clearly. What distances are slightly blurry, but acceptable, and what distances are just unbearably blurry.

I am particularly interested in those who have received Monofocal IOL set to Distance but I would also really appreciate hearing those experiences with different IOLs. I have heard from several people that with a IOL Set to Distance, they are still able to use the Computer at about 18 inches. This has confused me since I had thought IOL set to distance makes intermediate distance blurry.

Thanks!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi all,
I have the same question as orbitnw has - Can a monofocal IOL see distance object and computer at arm length ?

I am planning to have a cataract surgery on my left eye which has a RD surgery last year. My right eye is -1.75 and has quite a good vision (20/15). My doc expect my left eye to recover to 20/25 or better after the cataract surgery.
I am still making decision of alcon-arcysoft as I had some astigmatism or Crystalens. I just found baggyrinkle mentioned that has both eyes done for plano but his vision can cover from 20" to infinity. This makes me feel that I don't need to take the risk for Crystalens. I wear glass anyway and I have a big monitor as well.
One doc suggested me to have the left eye set at -1.5 to match my right eye. He thinks that if I put a glass near-sighted lens (-1.0), then I can see distance quite well and still have a fair intermediate vision.

Sally: Can you share with me your is the prescription of your IOL ? thanks

Helpful - 0
I think the caveat with all these experiences is YMMV - your mileage may vary.  It's more important to understand the factors that affect depth of field, and to distinguish typical results from best case results.  
Helpful - 0
Yes, I have decided to go with the Tecnis acrylic monofocal, set for distance. The only thing I have to decide if whether I want the aspheric. From what I have read you get better near vision from the non-aspheric, but better constrast from the aspheric. Which did you chose and why?
Helpful - 0
Hi all,
I am in a similar situation as allmymarbles.
I also read an article mentioned that aspheric lens will have better contrast and quality with some sacrifice of the depth of field. But it also mentioned that a very good quality aspheric lens may have a good balance of both.

As I am going to lose accommodation with the mono-focal, depth of field seems to be important as well.  I just found disappointed66 and baggyrinkle messages that they can drive and read monitor (let say at distance of 25"). It seems mono-focal is not as bad as I thought. I remember both of you are using aspheric lens. Would you mind share some of your comment on the IOL you chose.
Helpful - 0
you know what, my doctor has never done a proper post op refraction, so I do not know exactly what my prescription is (they just gave me the prescription for bifocal readers...I was surprised that you do need a prescription for that even though they are only magnification).  I would like to know my proper prescription so I can make more sense of my vision, depth of field, etc, and when I do find out (perhaps when I go back to my optometrist), I will certainly post the results.  I think what I have is -.75 in one eye and -.50 in the other.  At ball games and outdoor events, I test my eyes by covering one at a time, and the more distant one lets me see more of the fine print on billboards, etc.  But w/ this nice distance vision, I do suppose I am sacrificing the computer range, because I am definitely unable to read the computer w/o my glasses.  No one has ever told me if I have large, medium, or small pupils (I will ask), but if I were to guess, I would say large.  Let us know what you decide and how it turns, because I think all of us find this fascinating and educational (even those of us who have already had our surgeries).  I wish that I had understood more of this before surgery and my doctor had discussed target prescriptions (many docs just seem to ask the patient what their hobbies are and what they do, and then decide what is best for them w/o getting into details). But having said this, I don't know that I would change a thing.

I was really scared about having surgery.  For the toric, an office emplyee was going to be marking my eye in preop.  That made me nervous, and I insisted that the surgeon do it (on the 2nd eye a few weeks later), and he did.  Both turned out fine.

Also, my anesthesia was injected.  Not the drops.  I know that Dr. K. has said that he usually uses the drops.  Again, mine turned out fine.  However, w/ the first, I had a shiner (black eye) the week following surgery.  With the second eye, after I got home and took the patch off 4 hours later as instructed, my eye was pointing off to the side like Marty Feldman, not funny.  It gradually straightened out over the next several hours. I don't think the drops would have this effect.

I have probably said too much here, I don't mean to scare anyone.  I just wish someone had told me about these things, so it wouldn't have been so freaky.  I am totally fine.  Vision is very crisp.  Surgery takes 20 minutes tops.  I highly recommend the toric (my prior astig. prescription was less than -2 for each eye).
Helpful - 0
Sally:
Can you read big or header fonts in the computer with arm length distance like 28" ?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Community