How is your vision after Cataract Surgery?

Please specify whether you got a monofocal or multifocal/accommodative IOL.

I would like to know what distances you are able to see clearly. What distances are slightly blurry, but acceptable, and what distances are just unbearably blurry.

I am particularly interested in those who have received Monofocal IOL set to Distance but I would also really appreciate hearing those experiences with different IOLs. I have heard from several people that with a IOL Set to Distance, they are still able to use the Computer at about 18 inches. This has confused me since I had thought IOL set to distance makes intermediate distance blurry.

Thanks!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I think if both my eyes were the same iol prescription (ie both set at my closer range), then at 28' (that's pretty far from the compu), I would probably being reading the largest font (of the 3 on this forum) okay, not great.

just checked w/ a measuring stick..... I can read it from 34'.  If both eyes were the same, it would be better (because it's better when I cover the eye set to slightly more distance).

allmymarbles:  my contrast sensitivity is great w/ the acrylic aspheric!  I really like this end of the trade-off.  

Bottom Line:  it is so great to be able to make an informed decision.  we know we can't have it all (although it does sound like some of you are coming pretty close!).

Helpful - 0
Sally,
Okay that means you can read it at 28' with the eye set to (-.75) and 34' with the eye set to (-0.5).
How big is your monitor ?
Helpful - 0
28 and 34 were supposed to say " inches ( i guess that was obvious~)

when do you think you will have surgery?   I do not want to give any wrong info since I do not know my exact refraction.

Sorry I am very not very clear in my posts.  Actually, the -.75 (or what I think is -.75) was the eye I was using for both 28 and 34 " measurements.  It's just clearer the further back I get.  

Perhaps some of the other posters can weigh in w/ their post surgery refractions.  That would be helpful ~            

My monitor is 15".

Helpful - 0
Sally,
Thanks a lot for your info. I expect to see the surgeon in a month. Hopefully, I can have the surgery in 2 to 3 months.
I think you can read the computer without the glasses if you switch to a 24" monitor.
Helpful - 0
I'm having surgery in two days.  Something I never thought to worry about (and trust me, I didn't think I had left anything unpondered) is will my eyes look different to others, aside from the fact I hopefully will not have four eyes post surgery?  In other words, can you see the lens in the eye?  I saw some photos in a cataract flier today and the lens looked creepy.
Helpful - 0
While I cant comment on your situation since you had a RD problem. I can testify about my results and later my wife's. She had some astigmatism and went with the Alcon Acrysoft toric IOL set for distance, which corrected her astigmatism perfectly. I have a 24' monitor and can lean back in my chair and read the screen perfectly from about 2'. Close up I use a cheap pair of readers +1.0 power from about 12 inches. Since you are only doing one eye, it may be a problem balancing both eyes. My wife had minor cataract in her right eye and only the beginnings of one in the left eye. She could have waited for the left eye to "ripen", so to speak, but elected to have them both done one week apart.  Since you are only doing one eye, you may need to wear glasses afterwards to match your right eye. How long do you think before the right eye grows a cataract? They all do eventually. Having both eyes done eliminates the need for glasses other than readers. Good results all depend on the experience and skill of your surgeon. Mine does about 40 a week here in Houston.  Based on all the horror stories about premium lenses, ie Crystalens, Restor and Rezoom, I would not take a chance on screwing up my vision. Good luck and keep us posted.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Community