Waking up with body vibrations

I am wondering if anyone has ever felt the following:  Almost every night I fall asleep normally only to suddenly wake up 20-30 minutes later with these feeling of vibration throughout my whole body.  MY heart seems slightly irregular and has the feeling like it wants to start racing.  Sometimes it does, most times it just beats strongly.  The vibrating feeling throughout my body is disconcerting.  I put my hand out to see if I'm actually shaking.  I am slightly but nothing in comparison to what I feel internally.  It last up to 5 minutes, then eventually I fall asleep, only to wake again after 20-30 minutes.  This can happen up to 5-7 times a night.  Eventually I fall asleep and fall into the regular REM sleep.
Any thoughts?  Thank you all.  
PS.  I do not drink alcohol, smoke nor take caffeine.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Holy smokes - I just had my first episode of A-fib a week ago. I'm on two new drugs and I am getting little to no sleep, because every time I am just about to drift off, I am awakened and feel like I am vibrating!!! I thought I was alone. I guess not, judging by all the comments on here. I wish I could just be "normal".
Helpful - 2
Its amazing to see this discuss has been continuing for going on 7 years.

I read a number of the posting and understand everyone's concern about their body vibrations. Word of warning, its very important through our experiences not to create stories about what is happening and further scare ourselves.  It easy to get concerned and fearful about the unknown.  

My history  is I've been having body vibs since college I'm currently 50+ years old.  First started having them when I started a meditative practice in my 20s and then started to re-experience them in my 50s after returning to my practice.

Please consider that western medical doctors have only one (of many) perspectives on health and healing.  It works very well in emergencies to remove pain or prolong life but it is reactive (vs proactive & preventative) in nature and focuses mainly on the physical body and its mechanics.  As we are slowly learning in the west, the human experience is an integration of body, emotions, mind and spirit (energy).   These aren't separate parts.  Each part effects the other.  (example): emotions effect thoughts, thoughts effect body, body effects emotions, etc.....

Add to the above, our western culture's propensity toward hyper-action.  We over schedule, over work, over caffeinated in order to achieve.  Subtly, we are taught & learn not to slow down or relax.  However, deep happiness and contentment comes from balance.  This is our natural state which we can maintain or not.  Imbalance takes a lot of energy to maintain....this happens even when we can't sense we are out of balance.  No wonder we become tired, fatigued and maybe even depressed as we continue to move faster and achieve.  

I'm setting the state here....this is an aspect of western culture we currently live in and who's speed is only increasing.  

I have a very different perspective on our body vibrations.  In fact, I have them most mornings when I awake.  I enjoy them and often allow myself to settle into them....it is a very peaceful restful time when my body is singing to me.  Very much like a cat when it happy purrs....the body does the same.  But as you can see from the number and duration of messages here, our culture doesn't support this view and our medicine (doctors) doesn't understand it.  Western doctors understand biology but fall short on subtler aspect of our experience: mind, emotions and spirit.  

These is a biological perspective to all this, we have a sympathetic and para-sympathetic nervous system.  These are meant to be balanced - activity & rest - doing & observing.  Sympathetic nervous system is activity based....stimulation....fight/flight reaction.  Para-sympathetic is resting....nurturing....digesting...pausing....sensing....feeling.  Our culture and many around the world thrives off stimulating the sympathetic system.  Always on....always alert....always active.  No wonder we are tired by the end of the day.  We don't do as much to support the para-sympathetic.

The body and mind want balance.....wants homeostasis.  A deep sleep, good sex, nice meal, contemplative meditation is all about activating the para-sympathetic nervous system.  I suspect some of the over the counter sleep aid people have mentioned on this blog do the same.

Our bodies want to return to balance.  This is what these vibration are about.  There is a redistribution happening in the body...thoughts, energy, emotions.  And when this happens your body purrs.  Don't be afraid of it.....relax into it and trust.  Part of truly re-balancing is allowing the para-sympathetic system to activate.....but this is very difficult if your thoughts are whirling and your mind is trying to take control of the situation because you don't understand what is happening.  Relax, enjoy and settle into the experience.....this take a level of trust and letting go.  (another trait our culture doesn't value)

We have some much more left to learn about our body and this human experience.   Th re-balancing of your energies is a normal and beautiful process.  Step into it and see what you can learn about the more subtle aspect of your human life....below external, tangible & the material.  This is where life becomes full and juicy.....it is also where true happiness and joy reside.  It is and inside -> out process  Trust your body and its messages....settle in and enjoy the ride...and be flexible to learn and change.
Helpful - 2
Thank you. Thank you,  thank you ever so. It makes sense to me. It explains everything. You are giving me so much peace. I will follow your advice. Thanks
I feel this vibration several months ago. If it is not life threatening then I am not worrying that much.  Thank you.
Dear JK,

I am 57 years and get terrible vibrations since 2012, did you find any solution to your problem and have the vibrations stopped now. Jen
Helpful - 1
So has anyone been able to figure out what these vibrations are from?? I have SVT (sinus tach) but I get woken up by vibrations all through my body, hands feet stiff, abdomen swollen and bad heart palpitations like 5 times a night. I'm desperate. Been to almost every dr except for GI.
Helpful - 1
Google sleep myoclonus.  
I experience this every morning but I am an alcoholic.  Been drinking for years but the vibrating just started in the last few months. I wake up around 5 am vibrating and I can't handle it.  I don't know if it is the alcohol or something else but medical tests don't show anything.  

Even when I don't drink, I still get the vibrations.
Helpful - 1
My 38 year old (otherwise feeling great husband) has been experiencing exactly this for the past 6 months or so, bodily vibrations waking him in the middle of the night. No history of anxiety or ill health and the only medications he has ever used in the past is an antibiotic about 6 years ago and some very rare paracetamol.  Doctor has run various tests and he is clear.

Husband also describes it as a washing machine inside of his chest, pausing for a second and then restarting as if on a cycle. It is bothersome but as all tests are clear we're not going to worry. Just curious as to what this is.
Helpful - 1
I experience this every morning but I am an alcoholic.  Been drinking for years but the vibrating just started in the last few months. I wake up around 5 am vibrating and I can't handle it.
Helpful - 0
SO hard to undo the tracks we have laid in our conscience.  But I make it a daily practice now that whenever I feel something, I just observe it without interpreting it, understanding that it will pass. This is not easy for me.  I hope by doing this over and over, eventually my brain will stop freaking and interpreting when I get symptoms.  Take good care.
Helpful - 0
Hello, all the intense vibrations I feel are after I fall asleep, quickly wake up and vibrate.  I have an apt. with a sleep expert Thursday to discuss these vibrations. I will post his comments and maybe you will get a hint about your vibrations.  
When I first started experiencing arrhythmia, my whole body was in a state of anxiety. Awake, I would feel vibrations, sudden jerks of the hands, arms, and head, lumps in the throat, feelings of being short of breath.  Over the years I have grown somewhat accustomed to the arrhythmia, and all those symptoms eased up considerably.  I definitely attribute them to the high anxiety I felt.  I still feel anxiety but not as intense as I use to.
Helpful - 0
Hi.  Could you tell me if you still get these please?
If these vibrations are truly bothering you, why dismiss it.  Although the dr's certainly do. Or if they're not really bothering you, why even mention them.  When I switched from an Ambien at night to a prozac for sleep, come to think of it, I haven't been experiencing the vibrations. Maybe it is an SSRI reaction. I agree, we all get distracted on this website, usually by other individuals, with whom we have a lot in common, and it does turn into an addiction.  But I think all of us can say we have learned so much from our fellow addictees. And we keep learning.  I don't think I dwell on my issues, I dwell on finding solutions to my issues, because the dr's sure as heck don't. I think because of the advances in medical technology and the accessability of that information to all of us by way of the internet, the dynamics of today's dr-patient relationship has shifted.  The dr's don't have the time to devote to learning all the latest in any field, much less a variety of fields.  Pity the poor internal medicine dr or general practice dr or nurse practitioner. Most of them don't have a clue. And you usually have to see them first before being referred to a specialist.  Now, where was I...
Helpful - 0
It sounds like you may have some tics along with your arrythmia.  It could be your Vagus nerve acting up. Looking forward to your sleep dr's report. Maybe you have sleep apnea.
Helpful - 0
Saw the sleep doc today who told me it may be a mild case of apnea which can only be confirmed through a sleep study. OR it could be driven by hormones, OR anxiety.  I may in the future consider a sleep study.  He did not give (or couldn't) a specific reason for WHY my body vibrates.  I realize there could be any number of reasons, but it just feels frustrating that no matter who I see, cardiologists, EP's, GP, no one can just pinpoint the problem and give a specific answer (to my palps, vibrations, etc).  The body is complicated, but I still wish for a clear-cut answer.  I'm left floating in a sea of information and confusion.
So, unfortunately, no earth shattering revelation here for the vibrations.
Helpful - 0
Just a note...a sleep study would reveal some of your issues, maybe. Normal apneas for adults are up to 5 times per hour. Anything a bit over that is sleep apnea, even if mild. Usually treated with CPAP.

However, in my case I had a 4.7 Apnea-Hypopnea Index. I didn't have sleep apnea. I had an Respiratory Disturbance Index of 18, which is 18 events per hour that my airways narrow (but don't close off like obstructive sleep apnea does). Nevertheless, when the airways narrow, they cause something called RERA's (Respiratory Effort Related Arousals), which is a fancy way to say the brain is waking up in order to open the airway a little more to improve breathing. Just like apnea, but not apnea. Most sleep doctors do not recognize UARS as a condition and therefore don't treat it. Treatment for the RERAs is typically CPAP or Bi-Pap, depending on which one they feel is best. They can do a titration study (a sleep study while using the machine) to see how well it is decreasing your amount of RERAs.

I mention all of this because I get the intermittent "sleep vibrations" like you do. I suspect it is UARS-related. The body immediately goes into sleep fast because it is exhausted. Are you tired during the day? You will be exhausted daily, no matter how much sleep, even with UARS or mild sleep apnea.
Do you take any benzodiazepines? That may be the problem.
I know its frustrating.  I did a sleep study about 10 yrs ago, not because of the vibrations (I hadn't experienced those yet) but because I had insomnia really bad, I could go to sleep, I just couldn't stay asleep. Well, at the sleep study they had to give me an ambien at midnight because I couldn't even go to sleep.  The next morning,  they told me I didn't have sleep apnea, that maybe it was some emotionally based thing and that maybe I should see a psychiatrist.  Go figure.  I haven't had an ambien in a long time (I think it can be dangerous when you have ANY heart issues) but the prozac I believe has helped with sleep, mood and vibrations.  I'd still like to stop that med as well.  
Helpful - 0
Thanks for pointing out the catecholamines to me.  We shall see what the tests show.  Just saw an endocrinologist to rule some things out.
Ciao.
Helpful - 0
I went to the doctor last year because I was having these vibrations.  I still get them.
I'm close to 50 and he contributed it to hormones and peri menopause.  So, I looked up vibrations and menopause and there is all kinds of information on a site where women talk about vibrations.  I'm beginning to believe my doctor (for once).  lol
Frenchie
Helpful - 0
Thanks to all of you for your comments.  I find some peace in the fact that I am not alone.  Arrhythmia can get in your head and make sleep difficult at best.  I have got no support from my Dr and have been left with the feeling that I am a hypo condriac.  My symptoms are so intermittant it is difficult to get an ekg at the appropriate time.  The symptoms are frustrating and impactful on my life.  No being believed by a Dr is just depressing.
Helpful - 0
Frenchie, I too am close to 50 :P and probably all these hormones are doing a number on me, but I've had these vibrations with sleep from the time I was a teenager.  I think the vagus nerve plays a major part in this.  Kind of comforting that it's not the heart causing it.
I just wish the doctors had more answers, which is probably naive, since the body is so complicated and there's not always a specific remedy that covers everyone the same.  In the end, it looks like we have to manage our own heads.  Difficult!!!

jpek, If you are interested you might want to look into this great book which can prove very helpful and comforting.   It is "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" by Dr. Diane Weekes.  Cheap on Amazon.
Helpful - 0
I actually am one of the ones that recommended that book on this site.  I have had it since I was 21 years old.  I helped me more than I can say.
Yes, the vagus nerve is also the culprit.  Mine is so sensitive that I can't even do yoga because all that breathing brings on heart skips.
Take care
Frenchie
Helpful - 0
Not sure if anyone's interested but the endocrinology reports are back.  My catecholamines are normal, so there is no excess adrenaline flowing in my body causing PVC's or body vibrations.  All else is within normal range except for my iron which is at the bottom of the normal range.  Minerals, hormones, thyroid are all normal.  So I can scratch these things off the "Blame" list.
I'm just left with my skippy heart.
Shrink next!
Helpful - 0
I have also been having the vibrations for about 7 months now.  I had an ekg monitor i had to wear for a month and the report came back normal.  A cardiologist did a stress echo and that was normal.  I wake up at least 3 nights a week with my whole body vibrating.  It feels like waking up on a washing machine during spin cycle.  These episodes may last up to 15 mins but most of the time just 2 or 3 mins.  I may go 10 days without having one...... alcohol and caffiene seem to have no correlation to the episodes.  I am 33 yrs old and in perfect health.  I know it's not my imagination and my doctors are baffled.  How can doctors not know what is causing this...obviously there are alot of us experiencing this.
Helpful - 0
Have you heard of the Hum? Google it. Caused by electromagnetic field created RF when the smart grid was turned on in 2006. It plagues me day and night and manifests as a vibration through my body keeping me awake. Only a select few actually feel/hear it. There is a Hum Forum on Yahoo and a world map of people afflicted around the globe. I also had my ears and heart checked. It came back normal.  I am desperate. I will probably have to move to the outer Hebrides!
Hi do you still experience waking up vibrations please?
I agree, it's a very common condition and I cannot believe why the doctors cannot explain it.

I believe I get them more often with Zyrtec (antihistamine) but I'm really not sure. I think it's completely benign tremors.
Helpful - 0
So crazy. I have been waking up in the morning experiencing this body humming/vibration. It only started a few weeks ago and doesn’t happen every day but when it does I feel like it wakes me out of a sound sleep. I try falling back to sleep and as I do it almost feels more intense and wakes me again. I started taking Zyrtec about 2 months ago and that was the first thing I thought of that was causing it.  
Yowee! I can't believe there are so many other people out there expreriencing the same body vibrations.  I feel them in my upper body but have disc disease in my neck and spine which I had a recent lumber fusion and laminectomy of my L5/6 dics.  I thought the vibrations were maybe caused by this. Now am not so sure.  My vibrations don't always accompany tachycardia but when they do they are far worse.  Am almost convinced they are anxiety related to my SVT as there have been times when I've been able to talk myself out of them (vibrations) by using calming breathing and repeatedly telling myself that even if I'm experiecing SVT that I'm not likely to die and that I will be alright.  Certainly when I've had a few bad days in a row of SVT, the vibrations are intense when trying to lie down or sleep in anticipation of the long night ahead.  

I think it's incredible that we are all a link in helping strangers that we are in confiding, sharing, caring and encouraging on a condition/s that none of us asked for and have little control of.  I don't feel a freak anymore.  SVT and it's accompaning vasovagal syndrome  almost took my life because I was isolated and afraid to go anywhere or do anything fearing an "attack."  Well to hell with the next one, I'm going to enjoy what ever and where ever regardless!  I've stayed at home too long. All the best out there x
Helpful - 0
I get what I call Butterfly feeling in chest/body. It could also be discribed as vibration's as well. It's almost like a shacky feeling but you cant see me shacking as it's inturnal feeling. It's the most commen discription of palitation that I have read of both from people experiancing them or discription or palpitaion as well.

I'm not 100% sure but it's the most commen discription that often has has no serious heart condiction casuing it. it's also the most commen discription that people with anxiety disorder's discribe. I spent a lot of time on anxiety web site.
Helpful - 0
I had this vibration thing for several years, while I was going through menopause, and it would wake me from sleep a lot. Occasionally I had them during the day too.  And that was before I had these darn PVCs. Eventually, the internal vibration stopped. I don't know whether stress triggered it, or something else. But it did go away.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Rhythm Community