Herpes Community

False Positive? *Western Blot Update*

I wanted to share my story here as others' stories on this site gave me encouragement. I want to pay it forward.

This past year in April, I went in for for a UTI. Decided to get a full STD screen. UTI came back negative for STD's, but HSV1 and 2 came back positive. (HSV1 = over 34.25 IGG, HSV2 = 1.18 IGG). I had recently had sexual contact, but not with anyone I knew to be infected (of course I understand there are dishonest people), as well as I have never had symptoms. So this was life changing for me and freaked out. I waited several months, then went to get retested, assuming I could get more of a positive result. My results were HSV1 over 30 IGG, HSV2 <.91 IGG Negative. Obviously I was very excited that maybe it was a false positive. I assumed that I was negative. Now, in October, I went back in for another UTI. This one turned out to be chlamydia related, although the girl I was currently with told me her results from a month ago came back clean. She went back in after this incident and was tested again, and all tests show negative. However, I decided to get another HSV screen. This time HSV1 = 35 IGG, HSV2 = 1.79 IGG. Again, still no symptoms, and this girl, who I've been with for over a month now, a couple of instances of unprotected contact, has shown no sign or symptoms and tested clean.

Recently I finally decided to get the Herpes Western Blot from the University of Washington. After a somewhat complicated process to get serum several states away and waiting a couple of weeks to get results, I finally have some closure. HSV-1 Positive, HSV-2 Negative. This test has over 99% accuracy in differentiating between antibodies and is considered the definitive Herpes test. Of course I am relieved, but have also learned a lot about myself, and about a "disease" that is really not too much more than a nuisance. The American Sexual Health Association suggests that any IGG test for HSV between a 1.10 and a 3.5 be tested further as this range holds most of the false positives, even though the IGG test is very accurate. http://www.ashasexualhealth.org/stdsstis/herpes/herpes-testing/

Additionally, here is the previous Medhelp post I found regarding how to get the test done with specific steps. One tip, make sure you research and plan out your steps in advance. You have to get that serum shipped quickly and accurately. http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/False-Positive-HSV-2-Igg-test-and-Western-Blot/show/2020094

Good luck to all and I would be glad to answer any questions.

Thank you for your support.
Thank you for sharing your story.
dave
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.