best way to shave pubes

any thoughts i keep getting rashes and burns every time i do it? can i usse nair? wha kind of razors are best
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
hi i have tried shaving too.. but i realized wen i shave in the direction of the hair.. it doesnt go completely..i can stil feel it wen i run my hands in the opp side.. and doesnt the hair grow withing the next few days..hardly stays for 2dys.. and i have realized my hair is thicker than before now...

any suggestion?? pls help..
Helpful - 0
You can try some alternatives but don't pit any chemicals like Nair.You will get chemical burns as that area is too sensitive.
If you find you keep getting rashes or burns then just go natural.Not a thing wrong with that.
Helpful - 0
Hi, do yourself a favor and DO NOT SHAVE(promotes more hair to grow back courser and darker), DO NOT WAX (pulls on the skin damaging it and cause spider veins/broken cappillaries).  Get yourself an EPILATOR.  It'll cost you about $50.00 and it does not damage the skin.  It's the best thing on the market for hair removal.  You just need to learn how to use it properly. I've had mine now for over 15 years (believe it or not). I can do my underarms in 30 seconds, that's right.  Try it out for yourself.  Good Luck
Helpful - 0
I used to have problems with shaving down there to, but i learned a little trick that has been helping me, it helps me not get razor bumps any more. What i do is use conditioner, i put the conditioner down there before i shave, and let it sit for a few minutes before shaving. That seems to work for me! Hope i could help.
Helpful - 0
That's why I join this community, there are huge of information that could help me....

Pls call me Ms. Baby Phat Scrub
Helpful - 0
If your gonna use a razor then use a product called Bikini Zone  Anti-Bumps Shave Gel. Works great and can be found at any Walmart.
Helpful - 0
you'll find that things you do to shave your legs often doesnt cut it (haha) with pubes, because they are stronger and courser, and the skin there is more sensitive. for that reason, looking into how men shave their faces is actually really helpful (laugh, but it's true!!).
i used to get HORRIBLE razor burn, so i know where you're coming from. i'm also allergic to anti-perspirants, so that doesnt work for me either.

a few tips that i've found work:

-direction-: shave WITH the direction of the hair, not against it, and then go side to side AFTER if thats not close enough for you

-hot water-: people overlook this but it's really important. shave at the END of a hot shower, and try to keep as much hot water against your skin as you can, even if you have a gel/foam/etc. (this keeps the blade from agitating your skin as much)

-scrub-: try to scrub with a brush or washcloth before hand to remove dead skin that can block pores, the razor, and just cause problems.

-cooling-: wash with cold water to close the pores after shaving, and DAB dry with a towel, DONT RUB. a moisturizer or other after-shave product (NON-ALCOHOL BASED) helps as well.

overall i would still say waxing is a good alternative tho. it does hurt, but only for a second, and it lasts for several weeks. plus if you wax for long periods of time, you actually start growing significantly less hair, and what does grow is finer and easier to manage. if you've never waxed before tho, i recommend going and getting it done, or having an experienced friend help you, rather than attempting it on your own. a waxing gone wrong can leave bumps very similar to razor burn.

hope that helps!! good luck.
Helpful - 0
I've shaved for a long time and I've always dealt with the razor burn.  Recently though I've been getting infected ingrown hairs...and believe me, they are not fun.  Very painful. I actually did some research on it and the things I read said to 1. Exfoliate with a gentle noncosmogenic exfoliate.  It takes away the dead skin that blocks the hairs in.  (razor burn is actually ingrown hairs) and 2. use only a single blade razor... yes, it doesn't cut as close but that means the hair isn't so short it gets blocked.  I want to go get waxed but I'm a big ol' chicken. haha.  I bought the blue shave gel from walmart and I haven't noticed much of a difference from regular shaving cream.  Shaving downward doesn't cut well enough for me, so I shave upwards and deal with the pain.  Beauty is pain, isn't that what they say?
Helpful - 0
actually pretty much any anit-persp/deo combo seems to work really well in prevent a bumpy razor burn
Helpful - 0
Okay, this sounds really silly but try it, it works. I noticed that Secret Clear Gel Deodorant stops me from getting razor burn under my arms. It has to be Clear Gel Deodorant though, no other deodorant does this.  Try using it on your razor burn, it might go away. Sounds strange, but it works every time for me. I used to get whelps from shaving, and with Clear Gel Deodorant I never feel a thing. Just shave and then apply it to the shaved area immediately. Continue to apply it daily, and you'll never see razor burn again.
Helpful - 0
I like 2 be hairless, it's funny, u feel free from NOT shaving and i'm the opposite!!
LOL!!
Helpful - 0
I like to use hair remover, it may not last that long, not for me, anyway. As I'm sure it's cheaper than a wax.
Aaaahhh..nothin' like a hairless cooch so freeing, so nice..
Helpful - 0
There's no such thing as bumps and razor burn free with shaving..!
Helpful - 0
Well, pangolin, I'm a swimmer and I'm around plenty of swimmers all the time, and not letting people get glimpses of pubic hair (or more than just glimpses) is more about privacy than anything (at least for me.)  Hair's not shameful, but whatever happened to cherishing some bodily privacy?

Anyway, as a swimmer I take care to keep my bikini area smooth, year round, and truth be told I have NO problem with shaving and it works very, very well for me.  I've never even tried waxing.  Shaving WITH the direction of the hair, or across it, rather than completely against it can prevent burns, as can making sure you're lathered up really well and also give the lather and water time to soften the hair/stubble before shaving.
Helpful - 0
Why not try laser hair removal??  I've gone to Refine 360 in Naperville IL and Kim is the best technician ever!
Helpful - 0
Well, I get waxed "for myself," partly because I like the way it looks in the pubic area (I get the Brazilian and have them leave a landing strip on top) and partly because I swim a lot and don't like a hair line. I also color my landing strip.  Before I got waxed, I shaved regularly. There are all kinds of reasons people want their hair removed so saying people "don't do it for themselves" is just plain inaccurate. And yeah, I've had men who said "I prefer the full hair look," but that's just tough noogies, because I like a nice wax job. They don't leave because of it, believe me. :)
Helpful - 0
I shave because I dont like the hair down there...I use a venus razor I only shave it once a week, it doesn't grow that fast, and I use bikini zone soothing cream after... works like a charm.. I have also been shaving since its been growing...lol
Helpful - 0
Use a sharp / new razor, it cuts cleaner. And use an Aloe Vera cream afterward. I've never had any reaction at all after using Aloe Vera creams.
Helpful - 0
I stopped shaving or waxing two years ago and it is fantastic. I feel free. Shaving was always like wearing tweed underwear and waxing is painful. Why do it to yourself? If it puts anyone off you, trust me, they werent that into you. Nobody ever removes hair "just for themselves" really its depressing how infantile attitudes to body hair are. Yes, I suppose I'm a hippy. Shave, wax, enjoy the pain..
Helpful - 0
OUTCH... BUT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE SAID U EITHER SHAVE OR WAX... I USE 2 WAX BUT ITS PAINFUL NOW I SHAVE WITH A RAZOR NAME (DE SOLEIL) IT WORKS GREAT N I USUALLY PUT A MOISTERIZING CREAM AFTER...  :)
Helpful - 0
I use an electric Razor its fine and does a great job, i cut it down first then razor.....
Helpful - 0
ouch...

well, you can do two things: keep shaving. its painless, but you have to keep doing it otherwise itll get a bit out of control. whatever you do DON'T tackle it with a razor straight away. cut the hair short - CAREFULLY - and wait a day before shaving. lamb18 has the right idea about how to shave and what to do afterwards. (word of advice - don't do it close to your period cause the skin is sensitive). Another thing to remember is not to wear anything that will irritate your skin afterwards - go without underwear for a few nights if you can.

Otherwise, wax - it maybe painful, but less grows back and it lasts longer
Helpful - 0
I have been shaving mine with a razor since I seen the first one pop out. lol. I dont have any problems with the razor. Please do not use nair as in the skin is very sensitive and the nair will burn your skin. The way I shave is to shave downwards (towards your feet). Then after that, I go side to side. I rarely ever get razor burn, but I have also been doing it for like 8 years though. If this doesnt work, at Wal Mart they have what is called Surgi-Wax. I have never used it, but my friends have and they say it works great. Also, they have this after shave gel made especially for the shaving of the pubic region. It cools and relieves and prevents razor burn. All of these are in the beauty and cosmetics department. If you decide to keep using the razor, be careful. Good luck!!!
Helpful - 0
Please wax because I developed a keloid scar from using the razor thing..be careful.If you have the funds go to a professional waxer...
Helpful - 0
2

You are reading content posted in the Beauty & Cosmetics Community