Degenerative Diseases Community

pregnancy after spinal fusion pain management

Yes I have DDD. Diagnosed at 14
L4 L5 fusion done June 2012. Still having pain and have ever since. Not as bad of course but not very good either. I found out I am pregnant. I'm about 7 weeks along. First it was hydro 5s which area joke. Then BC I got pregnant i can't do that procedure that kills nerves in your back. So I went 15mg morphine 2x day time released of course. I'm still in a lot of pain but now I switched to fentanyl patch at 12.5 mcg/hr since I can't keep anything down. Oh yea I'm 25 almost 26 and this is my 2nd child.I definitely wasn't to "i need fusion" at that time. My daughter is 6.  Its been over 24 hours when does this patch start doing anything? I'm really trying not to go up too high and am doing some research but its hard to find info on this subject. Anyone who has been in similar situations please help me out.
The patch requires about 5 days to reach therapeutic levels. You are on the lowest dose, and I hope that you get some relief. Pregnancy complicates pain management in that every pain medicine passes through the placenta. You don't want your baby to be getting these medications, so LBP may better be treated with shots instead of pills. Mild doses of opiates during pregnancy are normal. Long term treatment may not be the right choice. Talk this over with your doctor.

I don't understand why pregnancy contraindicates nerve ablation. Perhaps its the anesthesia? Another discussion to have with your pain doc.

Patients is a virture -- it will all come out in the end.

Best wishes.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.