Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

dog bite, antibiotic given, need info?

doxycycline monohydrate. i am 75, this was given  for a dog bite, due to being allergic to penicllin, sulfa and keflex.   it was prescribed on 8/16/16 at twice daily.  this is now 8/21/16. i don't drink a lot of milk but have eaten a small amount of cheese and milk/cream in coffee.  so far med seems to be working on the problem.  would it be best to avoid milk products for the rest of the time prescribed? or if milk was used longer than 2 hours from the medicine is it  okay then?  i was not told by either the doctor or druggist about this.  thank you!
1 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
19028025 tn?1473902866
Hello!

For best results, take this medication 2 to 3 hours before OR after taking any products containing aluminum, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, or bismuth subsalicylate. Some examples include antacids, didanosine solution, quinapril, vitamins and minerals, dairy products (such as milk, yogurt), and calcium-enriched juice. These products bind with doxycycline, which prevents your body from fully absorbing the drug.

So, it is best to take the medication at least 2 hours after you have consumed dairy products, and it is best to not consume dairy products for at least 2 hours after taking the medication.

That said, take the medication as directed by the doctor. While the rule concerning the dairy is ideal to follow, it is better to take the drug with dairy products than to miss a dosage.

I hope you feel better soon!

P.S.

I found information about this drug at:
http://www.rxlist.com/doryx-drug/consumer-uses.htm

You may find additional information at:
http://www.cvs.com/drug/doxycycline-monohydrate
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Geriatrics Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life