memory

My husband and I are both 65,  our memory is not what it used to be, and I understand that is somewhat normal.  I understand that some college students are taking  Ritilin  before test so they can remember better, if that works why aren't doctors giving Ritilin to old people?  My doctor said they give it to older people that suffer from depression but not for memory.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am older than 65 but i would not take some medication for memoty loss unless it is serious sometime i forget where i put something but who does not this is normal unless you are really worried, as we get older none of us will ever get any younger so try and be happy if you have parial good health  luck  to  both  jo
Helpful - 0
I know exactly what you are saying and yes it is a concern isnt it? I am female and 64 and even though I have been a very active health professional (now retired) I have recently noticed that my short term memory is a bit of a concern.

Sometimes I cannot even remember the most basic word and also events that may have happened not too long ago seem to escape me. In fact some things I just cannot remember at all.  This might be only as far back as so many months.  Overall I tend to think that I am as sharp as a tack however I know that Im not, I can feel such a difference that at times it is worrying.  I guess I find it difficult to accept because I always considered myself to be a bit of a whiz.  I do know that I have to activate this brain again in some form of study as that is when I am at a peak. Also I have started taking small doses of Thiamin which I believe is very good brain food. We will see. Good luck
Helpful - 0
Scientists have found that one fruit could hold the key to supercharging your memory.One little fruit could stop or even reverse years of cognitive decline.
This  fruit contains special substances that help your brain cells send and receive information faster. Much faster. Plus, according to the new research, it doesn't take long for your brain to start working lightening fast...just 12 weeks.
Berry blocks natural brain aging
Over the years, lots of studies have shown that this fruit reduces your risk of vision loss, weight gain, heart disease, and certain types of cancer. That's nothing new. But very recently, scientists have also found that it also protects your brain from aging.
Blueberries, which contain two special kinds of antioxidants called anthocyanins and flavanols. They are special because they can cross the blood-brain barrier. Very few nutrients on Earth can do this. Once there, they scrub your brain cells and get rid of harmful free radicals. And that's important...because free radicals in the brain can lead to oxidation, memory loss, and even Alzheimer's disease.
Blueberries also help existing nerve cells in the brain to communicate with each other better. They even appear to encourage the growth of new nerve cells in the brain.
If Big Pharma came up with a drug that could grow new nerve cells in the brain. Not that it could (or would) ever happen, but can you imagine the headlines: "Grow New Brain Cells with Our Miracle Drug!!!!!" Sure, there would be the occasional side-effects, like your head exploding. But that's a small risk.
Thankfully, you don't have to wait for Big Pharma's next wonder drug. Blueberries can improve your brain function right now.
Boost your learning capacity
For the latest study, researchers fed aging rats a blueberry-enriched diet for one or two months. They also sent the rats through a series of mazes to test their cognitive ability. The faster the rat got through the maze, the better its score.
The first time the aging rats ran through the maze, they scored badly. But after eating a diet filled with blueberries they all performed better, even the rats who were fed blueberries for just one month. In fact, in just one month's time, they scored just as well as the young rats in the study. On the other hand, the aging rats fed a normal diet performed worse on later tests.
In addition, the aging rats fed blueberries for at least two months kept their young brains.
Well, these rats continued to perform like young rats even months after they stopped eating the blueberries. So it appears that eating blueberries has a lasting affect on the brain.
According to Dr. David Malin, PhD, the team's lead researcher, "The present results suggest that even a relatively brief blueberry diet might produce measurable benefits. Second, the benefits of several months of the diet might be maintained for a considerable period after the diet is interrupted. Third, blueberry supplementation might possibly reverse some degree of memory impairment that has already developed. This raises the possibility that this sort of nutritional intervention might still be beneficial even after certain memory deficiencies have become evident."
In other words, eating blueberries can really help your memory... even if you already show signs of mental decline. Plus, once you start eating blueberries, the results seem to be long-lasting.

Now, these results came from testing rats. And the research has to come a long way before we can say with certainty that we'll get the same results on humans. But the emerging data looks really positive. In fact, last year researchers from the University of Cincinnati found that men and women who drank about 500 mL of blueberry juice improved their learning and word list recall in just 12 weeks! They also significantly improved their depressive symptoms.
These delicious brain-boosters are one of the 'dirtiest' fruits on Earth. In fact, each year the Environmental Working Group ranks fruits and vegetables according to their pesticide residue. And last year blueberries ranked fifth 'dirtiest.' This means that most blueberries on the shelves at your local grocery store are covered in pesticides.

Is there such a thing as a 'clean' blueberry?
The truth is, washing fruits and vegetables with soap and water (or even the specialty washes) does very little to remove pesticides. The only safe way around the problem is to avoid commercially grown produce. Choose organic instead. Another great option is to look for a supplement that contains blueberry extract.
Helpful - 0
I would look at changing my diet before trying drugs for memory loss.  There is a lot of research indicating that foods high in antioxidants are good for brain health.  Physical exercise will help with circulation to the brain, and one of my favorite tips for memory improvement is to just use your brain more often.  Try puzzles, games, reading, or learning a new hobby.  The old cliche' "use it or lose it" applies to memory and brain power too!
Helpful - 0
I found some good info on improving your memory here http://www.secretstoimprovememory.com
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Geriatrics Community

Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life