whats wrong with my rat??

Ok, so I have had my rats for a few weeks now. Me and my boyfriend got them. Mine is female albino and my boyfriends is just a dark brownish.also female. My rat has been sneezing a lot ever since I got her. And I don't know if I need to take her to the vet, or if there is anything I can do myself.  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Aside from sneezing, is there nasal discharge? watery eyes or dried crust around the nose and or eyes or both? These may be signs of an upper respiratory infection. Speaking for your rat, I would seek a small exotics vet to have your pet looked at as a precaution. If it's only one that is sneezing and not the other, I strongly recommend quaranting until you have your rat looked at by an experienced vet. Doing this will help decrease the risk of your other rat becoming ill.
good luck.
Helpful - 0
Also not to mention what kind of bedding are you using? Pine and cedar along with some other brands are terrible for rats lungs and cause resp. infections. If you use a bedding such as carefresh it can be a bit dusty and also carry bad little critter - you'd want to freeze that for 34 hours prior to use.

Towels, fleece and Yesterdays news are some decent brands.

And respiratory infections are not contagious.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community

Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.