Does a UTI cause a white coating on the tounge?

I have a UTI and I am on antibiotics but I have noticed towards the back of my tongue there is a slight layer of white stuff forming. It doesn't hurt of create any kind of irritation, I'm not really sure why I checked my tongue in the first place but now I'm worried!  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi there,
After using antibiotics there can be a tongue infection with Candida albicans a yeast infection. These medications can cause thrush by allowing the fungus to overgrow on the tongue. An  oral thrush infection scrapes off and leaves a reddened area compared to a white coating from buildup of dead skin cells on the tongue when scraped with a tongue depressor .It is best to see  a doctor and get the diagnosis confirmed. Treatment will be specific based on the cause. Keep me posted.
Best luck and regards!
Helpful - 0
Yes, could be candida, best cure : try ozonated water.  It kills bugs and also candida
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Urinary Tract Infection Community

Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.