Avatar universal

Rectocele and Cystocele at 30, should I have it repaired?

Hi,  I just turned 30 yrs old and I have a two year old.  I have a rectocele and cystocele that needs to be repaired.  I am nervous about this because I still want more children.  I want to enjoy sex as well.  I am uncomfortable with the rectocele, cystocele and having sex.  I developed this about a year ago and it is only getting worse and more uncomfortable.  I have been searching all over the net to find some answers as to what is best for me and my body and being able to continue building my family.  I am scheduled to have my surgery next month but I am wondering if I should "wait til I am done having kids" or get it fixed now and be comfortable with having more babies and having good sex if that is possible for having this kind of surgery which most women twice my age have.  Is there anyone out there that can help me???!!!  Thanks.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
1128665 tn?1269273471
Hi muttons_mom, welcome to the Urogynecology community! Although POP is looked at as a health issue that older women experience, I want you to know that I speak with women all the time who are in their 30's (even a few in their 20's!!) who have POP stuff going on so know that you are not alone!

There are several aspects of your post I want to touch base on! First up, I have to ask what kind of physician you are seeing for your POP issues? Many types of physicians perform surgery for POP but a urogynecologist is truly the way to go, these are specialists in pelvic floor health and can guide you with both non-surgical and surgical avenues. Since you want to have more children, it is important to research all of the non-surgical avenues and a urogyn can help you with this. As long as you are not having a hysterectomy, there is still potential to get pregnant even if you have surgery, and if you have a rectocele and a cystocele, I doubt that a urogyn would remove your uterus but a different type of physician might-you need to check into this a bit more. Many women choose to use a pessary while still in childbearing years, but of course you should also be doing Kegels (and they need to be done properly to work effectively!) to help rebuild and strengthen the PC muscle.

On the sex end of it, know that this is another reason you want to see a specialist; I had a rectocele, cystocele, and enterocele repair and had this same concern, I like a very active sex life and didn't want to lose it (yep, even at 56 those of us who enjoy an active romp still don't want to give it up!). There is always a risk of change/loss of sensation when cutting through nerves in the pelvic area and this is something you'll want to address with your physician for sure, but know that although the heal curve does take time, you can regain sensation. Personally I found that the area of sensation shifted and although it did take a while to fully achieve orgasm again, it did come back.

Which brings me to the next concern-with a 2 year old, you will need to have childcare in place prior to surgery, you are going to need a couple of weeks to stabilize after surgery, this is a pretty rough surgery to go through and you will not be able to lift your child for quite a while after surgery (it's EXTREMELY important that you behave after surgery so everything heals up properly).

Until you are completely comfortable that going ahead with surgery is the right choice, you need to keep digging for more answers. I am extremely happy with the outcome of my surgery and it is a very individual personal choice, there is no right or wrong here-it is what is right for you.

Good luck, if you have more questions, shoot them on over!
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
i think your comfort should come first, if you want to enjoy your sex i think getting this fix would help, but im also sure that you should wait after the surgery until your discomfort goes away... and im positive you can have more kids unless there are other medical reasons preventing this to happen. And you can always adopt(:
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Urogynecology Community

Top Women's Health Answerers
Avatar universal
United Kingdom
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.